myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Acts of kindness and cooperation between kites and Wndsrfs!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
repooc99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Acts of kindness and cooperation between kites and Wndsrfs! Reply with quote

Please post your good experiences with kiteboarders on the water. Even if you feel that it is insignifigant please post your stories. It is important to have a ballance reporting of stories to review when talking about windsurfing around kiteboarders.
* If a kiteboarder yielded to you in a certain way that you liked tell about that!

* If a kiteboarder checked on you to see if you were ok tell that.

* if a kiteboarder rescued you or your stuff report that too.

* Any story that is positive is needed.

* If you have an opinion then post it here Very Happy Very Happy
pabloson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: acts of kindness and good will Reply with quote

Thanks for starting this thread!

It was several years ago (1999/2000?) down in La Ventana. I was sailing around the bay and came across a sailboard with no person and no sail attached. Obviously I became concerned so I started tacking back and forth looking for the former occupant. I found a him floating several hundred yards off shore. It was a man I knew from the camp who was about 80 years old at the time. He was outside of the normal sailing lanes and he seemed somewhat disoriented. I had him grab my back footstrap and I was tediously and with great difficulty trying to tow him to shore. We were making slow progress but he (and I) were both weakening. He was having great difficult maintaining his grip. JUST IN THE KNICK OF TIME, a very nice kiteboarder came by, put the old guy on his back piggy back style and kited him to the beach in about 30 seconds. It saved my arms and who knows what else with regards to the old man over board. I was very impressed with the kiter's superior rescue method and grateful for his help. I never did figure out who it was in order to thank him. If it was you, then THANKS!!!!

pablooooooo
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I windsurf among two to ten kiters every windy day, and have yet, with one very brief and minor display of arrogance, to experience anything but polite consideration on the water, including most of your list.

\m/ [/img]
Viento79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Acts of kindness and cooperation between kites and Wndsrfs! Reply with quote

A few days ago I was Windsurfing at the Event Site and while jibing at the Washington side the rig and board got separated. The board went downwind like a rocket and the rig and I drifted downriver. I left the rig and started swimming towards the board but was not making any progress after some five minutes. It was late and there were only two kiters around. I asked one of them to grab the board which he did and patiently held it until I got there which in spite of I being a good swimmer took a lot longer than I expected due to the river current. The kiter asked me if a needed to be towed and I did not want to abuse his kindness and said no but thanked him a lot. After 15 minutes of swimming another kiter approached and asked me If I wanted to be towed, this time I was getting tired and said yes. He towed me until the wind started to die but I made it easily to shore thanks to his help.
I really appreciated the cooperation and kindness of these kiters and have changed my attittude toward kiters in general after this experience.
fly50

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am stoked that this thread was started. It seems that blogs are so full of criticism and whining. I have been windsurfing and kiting in the gorge for over a decade. I love both sports and Ive got lots of love for windsurfers and kiters. They are, in general, the coolest group of folks Ive ever been around.
h2olm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that!!! Yesterday, I was out kiting near the White Salmon River bbridge. I saw a windsurfer down as I went by. There was no one else around except for one other kiter. As I passed the windsurfer, he seemed like he need help. I asked if he did and he said yes. By the time I turned around to get to him, the other kiter was already there. The kiter (who looked to be in his late 40's to early 50's, windsurfer in his twenties) had the ws grab the back of his harness. Not only did this gentleman body drag the ws in, but he also towed in his entire rig! He dropped him close to shore on the WA side, so all the guy had to do was hitch a ride back to HR. Then it was just me and this guy out by the brige with the place all to ourselves. I was lit on my 8m kite! Kinda like being lit on my 4.1m sail with some minor differences! I immediately thought of this thread, so I wanted to spread the stoke.
See you on the River!
blireef

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen lots of cooperation between "sailors" which is what we all are.. Both here and in Baja I have rescued boards and people and had people rescue me or bring me my lost board.. I've had at least 5 windsurfers help me especially when I was first learning to kite.. I never go by a person that looks like they are having trouble without checking to make sure they are alright and you shouldn't either. If you don't feel capable of helping them go get someone who can. I still owe the windsurfer in Mosier a beer (or 2) for bringing my board all the way back across the river when I lost it. Big Jim
fly50

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is that kiters and windsurfers are just the same as any other group. The majority are cool polite people with a few arrogant know-it-alls thrown in. ( It seems that some of the know-it-alls like to post on the internet. ) I dont ever see much if any conflict when I am at Rufus, Event Site, Hatchery, Sand Bar, etc....lifes too short to moan and complain.
untwed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around may or so at stevenson, I dropped my kite and was botching my self rescue when I lost my board. Things were kind of precarious so, I decided to let the board go. I was afraid i might lose control of the whole thing and get tangled up in my lines. Although I had a knife, i just didn't want to risk getting tangled. A kind windsurfer checked on me and grabbed my board. That was super cool cause i thought my board was gone and it was good to know someone was keeping an eye on me until i got in. It was pretty light too, and he was on a big formula board and big sail. I think these guys were from canada. anyways, good to know there's a lot of stoke out there!
tweeky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

untwed wrote:
Around may or so at stevenson,
On easterlies, you can always come in at Bob's Beach if you can't get back to the point. The windsurfers there will help you get your kite in, and then its a nice walk up the path right back to the point. If you miss that, last chance to exit is on the Oregon side at Cascade locks.
We helped three kiters all on the same day come in, two girls and a guy. They were very pleasant and appreciative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: