myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need information
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Need information Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm a French windsurfer and Im visiting my family in law for July and August. I'm currenly here in Novato (marin county) and I look for wind. For the moment I swam in Berkeley with my windsurf last week... I need more than 25 knots and apparently I should find it in Crissy field but I guess I have to wait for the good tide. Do I have to wait for the low tide to windsurf there? Can some one explain to me which conditions I have to wait for before to do the trip from Novato until SF? Also I look for someone from Novato to carpool with because some days I am dependent on my in-law's car availability.
Thank you,
Johann
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need information Reply with quote

johann wrote:
I need more than 25 knots

We're confused. You need >25 kts for what? Certainly not windsurfing; most big men are on 4.x sails, quite a few ordinary-sized men on 3.7s, at 25 kts. Many women are on 3.0s or blown off the water at 25 kts.

\m/
johann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: information? Reply with quote

Sure,
So apparently I'm a big man who came with a light volume board and shorts sails. My question was not which sail I need, but what do I need to know about the tide in crissy field?
Thank you.
MOTOP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need information Reply with quote

I second isobars. 25knots is the absolute minimum you'd need to windsurf?

Maybe you caught Berkeley on a bad day, which indeed happens. So far this week has been awesome though, it was averaging 30mph on Monday, while Crissy was nowhere near that. At 230lbs I was overpowered on a 5.5m. It averaged 22mph yesterday, I was very powered up on a 6.6m. Looking out of the window now I estimate it is in the high 10s and picking up.
MOTOP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: information? Reply with quote

johann wrote:
Sure,
So apparently I'm a big man who came with a light volume board and shorts sails.

How big of a man and how small of a gear?
johann wrote:

My question was not which sail I need, but what do I need to know about the tide in crissy field?

For the most part it is faster than you can swim, with or without your rig. Wink
vadler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need information Reply with quote

johann wrote:
Hi,
I'm a French windsurfer and Im visiting my family in law for July and August. I'm currenly here in Novato (marin county) and I look for wind. For the moment I swam in Berkeley with my windsurf last week... I need more than 25 knots and apparently I should find it in Crissy field but I guess I have to wait for the good tide. Do I have to wait for the low tide to windsurf there? Can some one explain to me which conditions I have to wait for before to do the trip from Novato until SF? Also I look for someone from Novato to carpool with because some days I am dependent on my in-law's car availability.
Thank you,
Johann

You're not going to find stronger than 25 knots on a consistent basis. Don't go to Crissy if you need that kind of wind. However, if you find some bigger gear, you want a high tide that is falling. This is an ebb tide, and the wind will go in the opposite direction of the tide. The wind happens in the afternoon. Appropriate tidal conditions will Monday or Tuesday next week. Encore, TRES IMPORTANT, if you can't plane don't go to Crissy, you will be asking for trouble. Don't count on 25 knots, you might get 20 knots.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johann,
If you can't sail at Berkeley, don't go to Crissy. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Coachg
madspaniard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you tell us your weight and board/sail size there isn't much we can do to help you. I would recommend you to join the Cal Sailing Club in the Berkeley Marina. For $65/three months and some club hours you can use any of their gear, they have all board and sail sizes. A lot of local sailors hang around and can help you with info on local spots and tides. You'll see me there too.
jse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann,

How long are you here for? From Novato, you have a few closer choices, that being Larkspur, Rod and Gun and Bullhead Flats. The latter two work on NW winds - the kind you will see in Novato - and higher tides. Don't go to Bullhead Flats if the tide is halfway out and ebbing, you'll end up swimming ... in the mud. For Larkspur, look for heavy fog penetration, the kind that shut's off Crissy. If you drive into Terra Linda and can see a big fog bank when you come over the hill by St. Vincent's it's probably a good idea to have a look at Larkspur. Drive past the ferry terminal and stop at the parking area just adjacent to the main entrance to San Quentin Prison. If there is wind there will be sailors there, often just "staging", as it's a good place to gather and decide where else to go. We will be glad to give you information if you ask.

For Berkeley, I can understand the swim. It happens. Berkeley can shut off in 20 minutes. What happens is the windline advances and retreats. You just need to recognize it happening and stay closer to the launch when you start to feel less power. If you launch from the restaurant, you have a better chance of not swimming. If you launch from the docks downwind, there is almost always a slog and sometimes a swim. I had to swim to the windline yesterday, but from there I sailed all the way to the upwind sailing area above Pt. Isabel, powered up. I lucked out and caught a gust to plane all the way to about 10 feet from the dock. And I happen to agree with you, I think 23 or 24 on the Berkely sensor is about what it takes for me to sail there. Any less and you're in limbo waiting for the inevitable die-off.

Some days, Berkeley is not good but Pt. Isabel (Behind Costco in Richmond) is good. It's worth checking out. I find the swell to be better there than Berkely on a good day.

For Crissy, take the very last exit from 101 before you get to the bridge, drive up the hill, turn around at the parking area and drive back down. Halfway down is a parking lane from where you can see the entire sailing area for Crissy. If you see sailors launching from Crissy, and they look to be planing, the wind is filled in to shore. Make sure they're not launching from the marina by the North Tower, all the way to the left. They may be launching from both sides. But if you see sailors in the bay and they're all launching from North Tower, it means Crissy inside is dead and you will have to deal with the current while slogging, or worse, swimming. A 4 knot current can take you a long way in a hurry. I like sailing Crissy from maybe an hour before the flood goes to slack to an hour after it goes from slack to flood, and anything in between. (Not the entire time, but those are the conditions that will get me to cross the bridge.) If you sail the flood, it will be flatter, but rig a bigger fin and sail as you will be pointing the whole time. Also, at Crissy, the first half of the way out can be nasty chop. If you sail all the way to the North Tower, the chop goes away and is replaced by more rolling swell. Of course all that changes with the tides, but on a good ebb, North Tower is a good place to sail. Watch where the other sailors are and stick with them.

Crissy can be a challenge, so make sure you bring your a-game. You don't want to swim at all when launching from Crissy.

Steve
carl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need information Reply with quote

johann wrote:
... I need more than 25 knots and apparently I should find it in Crissy field

25Kts (28mph average) is alot of wind, I'm 200Lbs (er 90Kg) and would probably be on my 4.7 and 78L in that wind. What part of France do you sail with that much wind?? 25Kts doesn't happen that often in July and August in the bay area, it's most likely in June.
(You just missed it !!)
Coach is right, Crissy is not the place to sail with too small equipment.
You have a big risk of being lost in the ocean, the ebb current can be very strong. Also swimming in front of big ships is not good for your health.

Sherman Island is probably your best chance now, if you hit the right day.
Watch the IW forcast and ebb tide is best at Sherman.

I think you'll get MANY more days if you'll rent or buy bigger kit though.
Berkeley Boardsports or (as Madspaniard said) Cal Sailing is the closest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: