myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Emeryville launch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdavis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Emeryville launch Reply with quote

Hi All, For those of you who don't know, the Emeryville launch is very nice with a grassy rigging area, shower, and cobblestone path into water. There is about a 10-20m wind shadow at the launch but it's no worse than H'slordships. The surface conditions on the Emeryville side are actually better for freestyle than on the Berkeley side. Hope to see more of you out there. ~ Brett Greene
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: emeryville launch Reply with quote

You know the day after I sailed with you at Berkeley a couple of weeks ago, somebody told me about this launch. A lot easier on your feet and closer to SF as well. I guess the only downside is not being near that nice swell that wraps around the restaurant.
dlester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdavis––wouldn't a 10-20mph wind shadow be close to zero ? Where do you launch and land your kite ?
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely no room to launch a kite. I think he was referring to distance not wind speed.
shitan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdavis is not a kiter and the 10-20 are meters not miles per hour.

I stopped by the ramp the other day ( i came from the water side) and it was filling in all the way to the stone path, the wind direction was westerly. I adjusted some staff on my gear and launched back, I tarted planing as soon as i left the ramp. I can see the wind shadow on regular WSW witch is nothing compared to the dock at Berkeley side. Sometimes it's also a notch windier in Emeryville.

See you guys on the water.
chibichibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: where is it? Reply with quote

where exactly is this emeryville launch? i am looking for flatter water in the east bay. the berkeley swell is killing me, not so softly.
dlester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWELL------in Berkeley Shocked
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: where is it? Reply with quote

chibichibi wrote:
where exactly is this emeryville launch? i am looking for flatter water in the east bay. the berkeley swell is killing me, not so softly.

go all the way to the end of the Emeryville Marina, by the roundabout and you'll see the grass and the ramp.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlester wrote:
SWELL------in Berkeley Shocked

you should have seen the swell at Berkeley the past three days, especially Monday and Tuesday.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: where is it? Reply with quote

chibichibi wrote:

Chibi,

If you sail straight across the Berkeley bay (south) from Hs Loardships restaurant, you can see the Emeryville ramp by the yacht harbor.
You are sailing the same small bay as if you launched at the restaurant (or the dock), so the chop is same too. It may be a little flatter on the EV side though.
If you want really flat water, sail at Marina Bay. It's sheltered by Brooks Island. Just sail over from Pt Isabel or launch at M.B. (nice ramp w/stairs).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: