myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Feeling ill . . . Someone Might Listen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
eanders

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents.... and for comparison. I sailed/surfed the Central California coast and Bay Area for years. I got sinus infections when surfing near the breaks that had storm drain outfalls (even though the release point was 1/2 mile offshore in the area), but could drink the water in buckets, when surfing/sailing miles out of town. So, chances are whenever you are recreating in a waterway that is being used as a spillway for manmade waste, you are susceptible to higher concentrations of muck.

On the other hand, from years of surfing I can tell you, that natural stuff in lakes and rivers (and especially ocean water.... i.e., "salts", micro-organisms, algea, etc.) will irritate your sinuses. Ask any hiker, surfer, diver, etc. Anyone who has dunked their heads in the ocean knows what it is like for the ocean water to fill up your sinuses and give you a runny nose for a day. So, don't be too alarmist about your reaction to natural water sources.

But, on the other hand..... we should know where the manmade influx of pollutants are concentrated..... what these ingredients are..... and learn to avoid to the most risky environments. In California, I had to give up on two of my favorite spots, because of re-occuring sinus infections. And, another spot because of re-occuring Great White attacks (possibly more of a threat than a sinus infection). On the Columbia, it sounds like the farther west you go of Bonneville the more you can consider yourself in a toxic soup. Fortunately, we don't have to contend with Great Whites....

In California, they had an organization called the Surfrider Foundation. These folks would water test near the locations of the worst man-made pollutant spillways, and list echoli and pollutant counts in the local newspaper on a monthly basis. After awhile, it became evident to local authorities that they had problem spots, and low and behold, they recieved federal grant money to rebuild their sewer treatment plant (since the final product was dumped into the ocean at these precise locations).

I would suggest something similar for the Gorge. Perhaps CGWA and Riverkeepers could spearhead this sort of effort... with results posted to a website or in the local papers.....

Everyone is afraid this will reduce tourism.... but, people already know what is going on.... especially those who use the water.... so, better to publicize it more and get something done about it... then live in denial.

Remember, alot of what we are experiencing is allergies, dehydration, and just typical sensitivity to natural things in the water... (e.g., my wife does not sail, and wakes up every morning with the same scratchy eyes and stuffed up nose as me, at the same time of year)... but, in as much as the water is polluted (which it is) .... more information is better.... and don't think for a minute that government has any incentive to do this... we have to do this for ourselves.....
updraft

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by updraft on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
CJRench

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use neilmed sinus rinse (drugstore) with a couple drops of betadine after you sail and you won't have sinus problems Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updraft wrote:
Why not take off the legally blonde glasses and say, "I'm addicted to windsurfing and since the Gorge is where I can get it, I'm going to go sail the toxic waste, spit sewage, and pack s*&# in my eyes. And since it feels so good I'm going to do it again tomorrow, if I can ditch work.

Our local huge (freshwater) Utah lake was under a "closure advisory" because the shoreline was a miles-long continuous heap of great big dead carp. "They" didn't know exactly what was killing them, but issued the advisory (i.e., "swim at your own risk" plus a publicity blitz) because a couple or lake users (out of many hundreds, maybe thousands) had ear infections.

What that meant to me was a thirty-something-square-mile lake all to myself on a windy day. No more scores of jet skis, boats, hydroplane racers, water skiers, etc. . . . just me and the wind and a warm summer day. When I came ashore, a TV crew shoved a mic in my face and asked why I wasn't afraid of getting an ear infection. "I've had 'em before. If I feel another one coming on, I'll do the same as I have in the past: go to the doctor. Until then, Willard Bay is mine, all mine (with eyes wide and a big grin). That's worth a slight risk."

Frequent Big Macs, pizza, pastries, or bacon are much more dangerous than sailing on the Columbia.

\m/
updraft

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by updraft on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
p914

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little info on the water in the CR.
There is always a layer that floats on the top of the first 1-2 ft of water in the river. It is typically anything that falls in the river like pollen and light weight substance forming a layer or substrate that will flow with the river.

This layer can be comprised of a number or substances or elements depending on the year. Typically anyone who is exposing themselves by dunking or even getting splashed in the eyes from spray is being submitted to regular exposure and depending on your body sensitivity, the typical conditions that result are irritation to the eyes, (Itchy, scratchy, excessive watering due to irritation- it's the eye's way of trying to cleanse itself when it has fine bits of dirt, debris, and pollen) nasal conditions, skin irritations from combined water, sun, dust and wind exposure, and other exposure from elements around the area, all depending on each individual's natural resistance or lack of.

Taking this into consideration, I know I have allergy problems and I take a claratin and a couple shots of flonase before going out to sail. I tried nothing at first and always came back with stuffy nose for a day or more. Taking the medicines prior to sailing results in no stuffiness. I have sensitive eyes and will always get itchy eyes to a degree after sailing from what I think is the layer of stuff in the water as well as the wind, sun, dust, pollen and water whipping around while at a site or on the water. You are exposing yourself to the elements whether they be all the natural stuff mentioned or manmade issues of which conspiracy theorists can tell you there are a plenty that never get mentioned, down to the possibility of Hanford elements making their way down river. Although after speaking with a few (real) nuclear scientists, they conclude that 90 % or those contaminants from Hanford are heavy metal/material that will not travel as far as Maryhill because they are too heavy for the river currents to carry them and they will find their home in the river bottom no more than 20 miles from their origin. And they keep sinking further down. Now as for the radiation itself in those areas, it is a question to research what the resulting conditions are due to exposure.

The real threats from exposure I see as most likely threats to our health on the river are from the pulp mills and any other industry that wantonly spills or dumps pollutants along with the sewage issues that are always pooping up. When you stop for a moment to think about it...... What happens to all the fish and wildlife sewage (poopage) that always occurs and we expose ourselves to? Not trying to make a mockery of anything here, but has anyone thought of that? What % of the water cleanliness does that account for? Any Fish and Wildlife personnel around that can supply that info?

Anywhooo. Tha's it fer now.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

updraft wrote:
Nothing else has set off the same quality of chemicals and brainwave sync that sailing does. Flying, skiing, scuba, golf, boating, baseball, etc.etc.. Its all good. But sailing is the best.

I'm not surprised I don't see dirt biking on your list. For me, and many others I've known, it tops WSing for many reasons . . . until you throw in the down time due to injuries once we get old enough to take months to heal.

\m/
BobElken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Gorge and Rio Vista - Ill / All salt water sailing OK Reply with quote

I sail in Lakes Oceans and Rivers, there are only two places that I get "Gorge Nose", Rio Vista and the Gorge. I have sailed for 16years, and have no allergies, except the two rivers. I am sure that most of the chemicals and pollens are causing this problem.

I spent most of my time sailing in the Ocean and never get the health issues from the water there, (Mexico - Hawaii). You would think that the salt water would be worse but its better.

I hydrate just as much in RV and the Gorge as much as anywhere else, but again it is only the two places that I have the issue.

I will super-hydrate here (The Gorge) to test out the hydration as a possible way to mitigate the problems. Cant hurt, besides its good health.

Jumping to conclusions, even if the discharge of the paper mill was reduced/stopped Im sure that with the pollens and other runoffs that make their way into the river I would still have these health issues.

BTW my heath issues are; Extreme! Sneezing probalby 20 -30 times within hours of getting off the water, and then a plugged nose for the rest of the day or two.

I love the Sea of Cortez water as I never have these problems.

I think the effor to clean up the River(s) should be supported, but also set our expectations accordingly- to the large task that it will take to do so.

Ps Writing in under my friends account BobElken - So dont hold him responsible for this post.

K.W
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetiaroaxx wrote:

I like to know 'counts' of various things so I can make my own choices, and some beaches have higher bacteria and heavy metal counts (PPM) than others for various and not-so-obvious reasons.

The counts are huge at the Hatchery and The Wall... stay out of that water!!!
You would be much better off at Swell City and Peach Beach, respectively.

(... leaving more space for isobars and myself... lol)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: