myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone Sailed Corpus Christi?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Anyone Sailed Corpus Christi? Reply with quote

Having been to the Gorge and Maui I am planing a windsurf vacation to Tx. They built a new windsurfing resort there and the wind is supposed to be good. Can you recommend non-windsurf activities.

Its really cheap too. $750 includes travel, hotel, and car!!!!! 5 day board rental is $275

I will have a full report in 2 weeks time.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Sailed Corpus Christi? Reply with quote

bigdick wrote:
Having been to the Gorge and Maui I am planing a windsurf vacation to Tx. They built a new windsurfing resort there and the wind is supposed to be good. Can you recommend non-windsurf activities.

Pounding sand comes to mind. Don't forget your Formula gear and 12.0.
On second thought, now that I've checked their July wind archives, make that a jet ski.

\m/
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Sailed Corpus Christi? Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
bigdick wrote:

Pounding sand comes to mind. Don't forget your Formula gear and 12.0.
On second thought, now that I've checked their July wind archives, make that a jet ski.

\m/

Don't let that discourage you. Mike lives and sails in the Gorge. Anything would seem light after that. I hear that Corpus is one of the windiest cities in the US. Of course, they call Chicago the windy city, and you never hear much about it as a windsurfing destination. I have added three Corpus sites to my IW page and it's pretty consistently windy. Don't know what it's going to be in July. From my experience living in Louisiana and racing Hobies for 10 years August is a bad month for sailing anything, even Hobies.

I'm anxious to hear your report.

Steve
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
Mike lives and sails in the Gorge. Anything would seem light after that. I hear that Corpus is one of the windiest cities in the US. . . . I have added three Corpus sites to my IW page and it's pretty consistently windy. Don't know what it's going to be in July.

Once again, my years of Corpus trips were while I lived in New Mexico, some before I even heard of the Gorge. Notice Bigdick's reference points: trips to Maui and the Gorge and Arenal, plus living in the Bay area. Now compare the wind archives of those sites, especially in July (and Arenal in season, I presume), to those of Corpus Christi. If wind in the teens and heat like you've probably never experienced is worth a major vacation, you'll be in heaven.

I don't operate on "I hear"; I run on facts, as best as I can, which in this case are readily available from books (e.g., "Texas Weather" by Bomar [A quote: "The Texas coastal plain is notorious for its stifling and insufferable summer afternoons". A paraphrase: its sea breeze peaks with the hottest weather, customarily running 8-15 mph. A hint: July is CC's hottest month.]), wind sensor archives (iW, several Corpus Christi windsurfing websites), interviews with many people who have lived and/or spent extensive time there over the years, and 10-12 personal windsurfing trips there over several years.

Maybe you'll beat the odds. Have a good trip. (I hope to God you're staying in an air conditioned condo.)

\m/
allen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cheap for a reason (although $275 for a 5 day board rental is more than the Gorge or Maui).

Non-windsurfing activities: Sweating, drinking beer, smoking cigarettes....

If you like stifling heat, Hatteras would be a better choice for July wind.....
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allen wrote:
It's cheap for a reason (although $275 for a 5 day board rental is more than the Gorge or Maui)..

I'll rent out one of my Gorge boards for $100 a month . . . in January.
The electric dry suit and 1,000-meter extension cord will cost ya $500 a day.
You'll have to furnish your own 2.0 sail. Wink

\m/
gdewitt1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reschedule your trip for the spring. It rips...
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corpus can RIP!!!
I lived and sailed there through most of the 1990's...Spring by far is the best- there was a time in the mid 90's where it'd blow 3.7-4.7 every day for weeks on end--it was called the "years of the drought... or.. " the years every one got divorced " as everyone sailed rather than work... hehe.. funnny but for real...

fall (late october--> november) can be good as you can sail strong S-SE winds at the bay (or some what weaker at the beach) for 2-3 days before a cold front hits..then sail one day N-NE-NW winds at Port A (side-side off wave sailing)- the cycles then dies off for a day or 2 (or 3) then starts up again....

Spring is the most consistant- it can blow strongly days on end (3.7 -->5.2) at the bay as low pressure from approaching cold fronts or desert heating in W texas causes the wind to crank on the coast-usually S-SE (the bay rocks as well as Bob Hall - on shore wave sailing)..
with that said.. I heard recent years have not been that great... the good news is that the watere and the air temp is warm..soo your sailing in shorts only.. its so much more fun than wearing a 4-3 suit all the time....

ps.. I remember some years where we'ed sail 5.2-5.8 conditions with big onshore waves all summer long june--> august (late in the afternoon -after work)...

September is thhe worst.. unless there's a tropical storm off shore.. then the beach rocks...!

Other things to do in Corpus in the summer if the wind don't blow...

1)Rent a Kayak or surf board from Frank at Wind and Wave and explore Bob Hall pier or the National sea shore.. Surf can get surprisingly big (check out gscott imaging website for killer corpus surf conditions which can occur...

2) go fishing at one of the longest piers on the gulf coast-Bob Hall pier- the king fish, spanish maceral, and trout fishing can be world class in the summer- shark fishing too--yes--people have caught 10-15 foot bull & mako sharks off the end of the peir (yeah- no shit- people windsurf and surf in the same area (see bob hall pier's web site--yeah I've caught 8 foot bull shark's offf the end of the peir my self..) ... Then national seashore has world class fishing too if you have 4 wheel drive).

3) be sure to hit The Exescutive surf Club for a surf burger and live music--dave mathews as well as other S Texas locals play there all the time...Craw Daddy's has got some of the best sea food you'll ever taste..in the new orlean's tradition...

4) San Antonio is 2 hours away.. sea world, river walk, alamo , etc...

5) Austin is 4 hours away...6th street party and renound music, Zilker park w/ springs, lake travis..etc...

Back to windsurfing..
if you're into driving for the best conditions.. check the wind and wave reports on the internet at 3 AM - often the wind will crank SOUTH all night at South Padre Island building up the SURF -South wind is side off shore AT SPI - Often you can catch 4.7-5.2 conditions from sun up to 10:00 am with logo to mast high CLEAN surf at SPI (north from jetty closer to hotels) that rivals or blows away Waddell or Davenport -west coast -surf in regards to form and power.. also its warm.. so you're only wearing swim shorts Smile... the water is also an amzing carribean blue/green colour.. yeah- its not unusual to share a wave w/ a pod of doulphin as well- trully spirtual !

Last edited by jordanwd on Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ps.. It looks like I'll be hittin Corpus in November myself to get some Port A wave sailing days myself this fall....! Cool
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys let us know how it turns out. If I ever hear two people swear their spring or late fall CC trips provided a few days a week of 5.x or better, I'll consider going back.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: