myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Margarita VZ!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Margarita VZ!! Reply with quote

Would someone please advise on recent visits to Margarita. I am thinking of heading over to Margarita next week if I can get the airfare that was promised. Unlike Cabarette, there are about 4 transfers (10hrs) to make from NY, in addition to a stay over in Caracas. What gives? Is Geo W. trying to make it harder for Americans to windsurf. Or does he just dislike Chavez.

I have never taken a trip that seems this complicated. Can anyone offer some advice. Or should I just head back to Vela Cabarette which is just 6 hours?

I remember Margarita from 10 years ago before I learned to windsurf and it seemed like a great easy place. Not hard to get to, and no transfers that would double the flight time.

Please feel free to offer some suggestions or reasons. I would like to get down before the wind starts to lighten up in August.

thanks

Johnz25@optonline.net
reggief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in the best of times at least for the last 10 years maybe more, it's a drill to get to Margarita. The most direct these days is to fly to Toronto and then you can fly directly to the island. Otherwise, from California you're looking at a stop in Miami or Texas, then to Caracas, then to Porlamar. It's not too bad though. This past year (i've gone every march for the past 10 years of so) I took a redeye to Miami, arrived around 5am, then a flight to Caracas that left at 7a -- long story short I was on the water that afternoon.
The only thing I will add that you did not ask for is -- I don't think it's so windy there now, is it? Make sure you check as I'd hate to see you go so far just to feeling like you're hanging out on the sun - as you know, it's pretty hot there.
markpaine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao), Margarita gets plenty of wind in July. It's just that very few people go there this time of year since it's summertime in North America and Europe.

-Mark Paine (2 year Bonaire resident)
marcsherman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Margarita in July - Is there wind? Reply with quote

I thought that Vela Margarita closes in May as the wind dies? I Would check with one of the other Clubs - Club Mistral or Club Nathalie Simone to see if they have anything on wind in the summer.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind is reliable till June and then crap, would not bother now.

Reggie is dead on. The flights suck as they all get in late and you have to leave early in the AM.

The Toronto was is the only way to go.
jspan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback about Margarita. I still want to go, if I can get out before the weekend and good luck & wind prevails. But I will do my home work before buying the ticket.

Great sailing and a windy summer to all to wrote back or have ever been wind waiting at an airport

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: