myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF bay Haskins to Third downwinder this Saturday, July 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bil7y

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Carribean Reply with quote

ahhhhhhh. Circles around carribean islands. Conch Fritters and Pussers Pain Killers. Now that is social. I look forwrad to meeting you guys on one of these downwinders. Its a great idea and glad to see you are taking the initiative. Most of the racers are just social. Really only 3 or 4 guys are good enough to be in the hunt. The rest of us just wnat to finish. And since Longboad wines is sponsoring we get real social at the end. Sometime a bit too much vino. Check out the longboard wines. They symbolize the laid back style you guys are all about. Its about gettin' wet and hangin' with your buds. Hope you have great day tomorrow and again looking forward to catching up with you in the future. I used to sail Tigers back in the 80's on my Waddell sails and Stretch board. PS - the ultimate downwinder social just happens to be going on as we speak. tHE HIHo. Lets all drink a painkiller tomorrow to be there vicariously. SAIL ON.

David
bludyell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of ideas that might make the event more fun if launching in low water, low water at Tigers is strictly for mud hoppers;
at the BFI recycling plant (1st left turn off Haskins) there's a small parking lot for shore access - you can carry gear along the path from here as far as the eastern point (across from Genentech point). Rig at the point & you're on a straight downwinder past the birdhouse in clean wind. First reach is all low chop. Swell gets more fun out in the channel, so maybe take an broad reach left toward Alameda first. More fun swells build at the 8 marker near Coyote marina entrance.
Once down near Third, I've used the last ramp near the bridge to haul out; you have public shore parking there & the windline isn't as flaky as the new third launch - easier to get in if the wind dies.
Don't have a big board right now, but will join in for fun if the wind looks good enough!
Enjoy!
windwiner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

070707 and 7 riders signed up! So the forecast doesn't look ideal but certainly doable. Are we still on for meeting at 2pm at Haskins? Question: with the current forecast what are you thinking of rigging? my biggest setup is 5.7 and 113 ltr board, so If everyone else is going to pull out formula gear we may have differernt ideas about how this is going to work. Either way I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully having a great shared session.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a GPS log of my run from Haskins to 3RD today. The other sailors ran down on a similar path...maybe with a few more reaches for some but you get the general idea. I turned the unit on at the start but forgot to reset the tracklog, so it starts from just past the fuel tanks where I was adjusting harness lines.

The trip was a blast on a 5.7 and 120l board perfect powered if not a tad under powered in some spots. The run took about 1.5hrs but I was not trying to just head straight downwind...it was too much fun so I played around a bit. Through a few flatter spots and some lined up swells, I managed to crack just over 30kts a couple times. I can't wait for the next one. Great group Sergy,Mark,Dave, Mario, Juan,and Jack thanks for making the journey. (I hope I got the names right).

Total linear distance just over 12km (5.4mi)
Distance sailed 39km (17.7mi)
or therabouts

J
(Jon)

sergem

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first 15 minutes of it as the cam paused during one of the wipeouts:

click for video
vadler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Sorry I missed it. Looks like 110+ liters was the call.
You could extend the downwinder a little further and pull out at the old 3rd Ave. launch. Best swell of 3rd is down by the bridge, but it was a flood day, so it probably didn't matter.

Victor
windwiner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I just wanted to thank everyone for joining in on this past Saturday's downwinder, and especially thank Mark for taking the lead and setting up the web site, picking the date and launch site. When I originally posted the idea I had envisioned a pack of sailors shredding around in the channel, blasting off the wind, jumping and carving in front of and around each other. In the end we all seemed to make our way downwind as individuals or at least small groups, but that didn't take any of the fun away from it. It was also just nice to meet a few other bay area sailors. I am looking forward to seeing you all again out on the water soon, and hopefully organizing another downwinder before the end of the season.
Thanks for the video and GPS info also. Take care.
rocktboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great times.

did anybody see or pick up my spare kite spreader bar that I used to downhaul my sail? I left it in the rigging area by Haskins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: