myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Santa Barbara/beginning kitesurfer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Santa Barbara/beginning kitesurfer Reply with quote

I am a true windsurfer, but bought a kite for weekend trips when I can't haul my gear. I have had it for four years and been out on it about six times. Is there a safe, easy site near Santa Barbara that would be good for a beginner. Going the weekend of July 7th for a wedding.
superspyfly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try "kite beach" about a half mile east of sterns wharf (near the harbor)
david

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjod, I can't recommend a good place to kite near Santa Barbara, but you might try posting your question on http://forums.ikitesurf.com/ - or give the folks at http://www.saltairkiteboarding.com/ a call.

David
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm a windsurfer, there are many kiters that launch at the east end Leadbetter Beach right next to the catamarans. The wind can be a bit better (less onshore and a tad stronger) than at "kite beach" referenced earlier by the second poster, but it might be considered a slighty tougher spot. Still a complete sand beach though, without any rocks.
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be able to stay upwind at Ledbetter. Just down wind is the Harbor breakwater. If you cannot make it back before the breakwater you can make a downwind run to East Beach (kitebeach) past the Harbor entrance and Sterns Wharf. 20 min walk back to Ledbetter or have someone pick you up there. East Beach is more open, less people, no obstacles on the beach but moored boats in the water. It's longer so you can drift way down and walk back on the beach with your kite flying. If there is wind there it would be better for a begineer. Some times there is wind there after ledbetter shuts down.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The points that kurtmagness makes about the two spots are quite true, especially regarding the obstacle that the harbor breakwater can represent. Although the wind can suddenly just shut off pretty quick at both spots, the breakwater can sure make things more complex, even with the present lack of surf this time of the year.

The one thing of note why I've never favored East Beach as a sailing site is that the water there can be on the funky side, with its downstream position to the harbor, the wharf, moorings and a major creek outlet. While I'm not suggesting that the water is unduly dangerous or unhealthy, from my senses and experiences, there is no real question that the fuel and creek runoff do impact the nature of the water.
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The harbor is pretty regulated regarding water polution sewage/ fuel. There are 2 creeks at east beach but I am sure they are as funky as are all the creeks in So Cal. You can see on the Sb County web site the water quality http://www.sbcphd.org/ehs/ocean.htm that Ledbetter and East Beach are fine and "open". I do not think East Beach is any dirter that ledbetter but that personal choice. Right now they are cleaning up both beaches (the beaches not the water) because it's all funky from the 4th of July crazyness. You would probably cut your foot on a broken beer bottle as a opposed to getting sick from the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: