myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dream SF Bay Access Spots / Improvements
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bullroarer_Took

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that 3rd is good enough as it is. I would love to see some parking put in on the north side of the golf course closer to the water so that kiters could use that launch without the walk. This would free up the carpeted area somewhat.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlester wrote:
Third ave is good enough as it is. If you really want to dream/build, Treasure Island has the best wind in the bay, more often, than any where else, especially towards the end of the season. But with no good way for kiters to get back in-- it's a waste of great wind and waves....... Sad

you don't know how much I miss TI right now, that would be my dream, sailing TI again.
gsnell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: TI Reply with quote

TI is one of the best spots in the Bay and it is easily accessible from East and West, some development/secure launch site would be very sweet!!!
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Improvements / Repairs Reply with quote

pthorner wrote:
The latest on Coyote is that the contract was executed for design of the temporary ramp and the final plan is expected within two weeks. The planner has been working with BCDC to get guidance so that the plan will hopefully be approved witout issuance of a new permit. The target date being discussed is for paddlefest in later September which wouldn't do much for windsurfers (although once the permit is approved, the ramp should be in play for the next season or two while a major repair is worked on). I'm trying to push for an earlier installation, but much will ride on the permitting process.

Peter,
After our March 26th meeting I had expectations of the temporary fix being completed sooner rather than later. It's disappointing to hear that September is now the target date. "A couple of months" has now turned into 6. Sad

mo
tsokat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dream SF Bay Access Spots / Improvements Reply with quote

Does anyone know if any of the wealthy private interests in and around Foster City have ever been approached about donating a large chunk to redo, expand and beautify 3rd? It could even be renamed to Google Waterfront Park or something if need be.

Geohaye wrote:
OK, time to dream a bit. Why the heck not?? What if we had a serious chunk of money to work with? Where could we make huge impacts on access improvements?

I have an idea/dream. If you have others, let us hear 'em.

THIRD AVENUE PARK--a dream
*Partly modeled after the Hatchery in the Gorge where the parking and rigging areas actually parallel the sailing/kiting area for a long distance -- allowing many places to rig, park, hang out...ie: the correct orientation unlike the current parking lot at Third Ave! (The best we could do, but not ideal.)
*Due to the extreme popularity of Third Avenue, this one gets a high priority tag here in dreamland.

The Year is 20XX, windsurfers and kiteboarders, with the critical help of a few of them coming forward with large amounts of cash forming a well-funded Trust, wrestle the lease for the golf course property out of the golf course's hands. The City of Foster City is happy. The golf course moves elsewhere where the land is cheaper, and they are happy.

The new Third Avenue Park features a sandy beach running from the upper "mud flats" kite launch down to the current beach. The latest in land-use planing practices provides a new park with extremely numerous close-to-the-water parking spots, plenty of windbreaks, appropriate trees and landscaping, rigging areas galore, picnic tables & BBQs, lots of real restrooms & showers, a little playground for da kids, and even an over-night camping area. A ranger is on site most of the daylight hours. Parking is free because all costs are paid through the Trust. For camping, there's a reasonable nightly fee. Visiting sailors and kiteboarders come from far and wide. Our access is secure and very-long term.

Nice dream? Yes.
Impossible? Naw. With our professional, innovative and sometimes very wealthy local community of windsurfers and kiteboarders, this is NOT impossible.

Thoughts? Other ideas? Ideas for other spots? Let 'em fly.

Some of these may even be possible some day - either through getting very wealthy individuals interested...or in some cases, simply working through the channels. SFBA (SFBA.org) works hard on SF Bay access year-round...but some of these ideas may go beyond what SFBA membership dues can achieve...Wink

George Haye
Member, SFBA Board of Directors
dlester

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great potential spot for kiteing in the east bay would be Emeryville. With a lesser amount of money and hassel than the other ideas put forward here, the western edge of the Emeryville marina is further into decent wind than the beach off the frontage road and would GREATLY increase the useable wind window for kiteing and windsurfing. Rolling Eyes
noholdsbar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlester wrote:
Third ave is good enough as it is. ....... Sad

The upper launch, "it is exploding"---

"But you tell me
Over and over and over again, my friend
Ah, you don’t believe
We’re on the eve
of destruction."

These are the new water lines for 3rd. Ave. At lower tides the water line is a sandy flat, until someday when the mud settles in.
The future for launching here might get difficult soon!

5553.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.8 KB
 Viewed:  13399 Time(s)

5553.jpg

geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dream SF Bay Access Spots / Improvements Reply with quote

tsokat wrote:
Does anyone know if any of the wealthy private interests in and around Foster City have ever been approached about donating a large chunk to redo, expand and beautify 3rd? It could even be renamed to Google Waterfront Park or something if need be.

I like the sound of that park, Tom. I'd wager that the answer to your question is "not yet..............."
victor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Tower, baby! The only place to sail this week.

Don't know if sandbags like someone put at TI would last since that jetty gets battered pretty hard.

A permananent buoy about 15 ' off the rocks so you can tie your board to while your wrestle your sail up the rocks.

How much would that cost? We're not talking Google money. It doesn't have to be too elaborate. Don't want to make it too easy for neophytes.
That place can get pretty scary.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
North Tower, baby! The only place to sail this week.

Don't know if sandbags like someone put at TI would last since that jetty gets battered pretty hard.

A permananent buoy about 15 ' off the rocks so you can tie your board to while your wrestle your sail up the rocks.

How much would that cost? We're not talking Google money. It doesn't have to be too elaborate. Don't want to make it too easy for neophytes.
That place can get pretty scary.

Not really sure what Victor is talking about here, I never sail the north tower.
But Coyote was excellent yesterday, so "north tower" is not the "only place this week". Looks like Stick may have been good too. (neophytes always welcome at both places)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: