myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing sites & conditions in Tampa, Florida?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibe-it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go down several times a year to take a break from work and I always get a few days each time
Sept labor day week
Nov Thanksgiving week
Dec- Jan Christmas break for 2 weeks
May Memorial week
Most times sailing 5.7- 7.0 and 105ltr
But alot of days I am on my 5.2 and 85ltr
It's worth crashing at your Sis (free) and giving it a shot.
dbodor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Tampa sailing sites and times Reply with quote

Nice map posted that is pretty thorough.

I'd add for completeness one more spot on the St Pete side of the bay, Tierra Verde (on the way to site 2, Ft Desoto). It's nice flatwater speed sailing when the wind is from the south or southeast, though it's gotten too shallow in some spots. Nice spot for beginners too, particularly when the wind is from the east.

For those of us that live on the Tampa side of the bay, a spot I'd include is by the Ballast Point Pier - nice on a northeasterly, family can watch or photograph from the Pier, though not a place for inexperienced sailors. Another couple spots I use are Picnic Island park (just west of MacDill AFB) on westerly, northwesterly. or southwesterly winds, or the St. Pete side of the Gandy causeway, for southerly or southeasterly winds.

Would recommend booties for bay sites, due to sharp oyster beds in a couple spots. Choice of sailing spot depends on where you live/stay and what's convenient. No place to rent on the Tampa side of the bay and not as scenic.

As for when are the best conditions, summer is not great. Daily afternoon thunderstorms, hot, and little wind. Best are spring and fall, when you get nice weekly front systems. Winter can be good too. Have to be lucky to have the day off and no family plans when the wind hits. This March it seemed we had daily 15knts, particularly on the beaches where a seabreeze kicks in. Not enough for me to make the trip across the bay, but great for kiters and formula sailors. In summer, windsurfers can occasionally find a silver lining in the tropical storms or hurricanes as they are passing by (not a direct hit of course).
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terryg11 wrote:
Can you sail Formula at Fred Howard Park or is it all way to shallow? I'm going out there one of these days, I think...

Every time I've sailed Fred Howard, I was steadily overpowered all afternoon on a 3.7 and the weed fin on my wave board brushed the bottom quite often; the deepest water I found was baaaaarely knee deep. One guy -- forgot the name -- was getting 6 feet of air under his hull quite often. So why use Formula gear?

OH, I KNOW . . . I've only been there one time, one day. Wink

Drove over from Albuquerque with all my gear and just happened to catch that one day. Did I get lucky or what? The wind was directly offshore and it was like ice skating; barely even a ripple anywhere.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: