myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to Ann Arbor, MI: Where to Sail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logosz85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"CHunter" is correct in his assessment of the local Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor conditions and "TerryG11" is grasping at straws. I suspect he does not live here or lives in a much worse area so anything looks good to him/her. Anyhoo, I would not sell all my gear. Keep the 85L board and the 4.0 to 6.0 sail range. Sell off everything else. This way if it does hit on a weekend you are prepared to take advantage. You will also be having a great time because when it does hit it can be very very good. Just be warned it is rather infrequent that it hits on a weekend (maybe 4 or 5 times a season, possibly more depending upon how cold you can handle the conditions). By the way I do not advocate changing to kites when I gave you Brian Lefeve's company web site, but only suggest him as a resource. If you decide to embrace kites great if not I don't care, but Brian is a great source of information. You will find that Michigan sailors are a great bunch of folks who are more than happy to help you out in your quest for strong winds and big surf, but don't leave San-Fran thinking you are going to a better place or even an equal cause that just ain't the case. Enough said.
logosz85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. Perfect quiver for Michigan would be two boards along the lines of an Exocet Cross II in the 85L and 106L range and a bunch of sails including: 4.0, 4.5, 5.2, 6.2 and 7.0 this spread assuming a 185 lbs sailor will reduce the number of times you get skunked. It won't prevent it, but it will sure help. You need boards that pop onto a plane real easy and coast through the lulls. So if all your boards have lots of rocker than dump em casue they won't work around this state very well. Another good brand of boards for Michigan appears to be RRD Freestyle Wave in the same volume ranges. If you already have this equipment than I would hang onto it and see what works for you before you sell off anything. If you sail at Lake St. Clair you will need a weed fin. Everywhere else you can use whatever fin you desire.
chunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terryg11 wrote:
But there's no reason to tell other people to sell their gear.

SEagle asked in the first post....."and need to decide whether to get rid of my gear.". Yes I may have been somewhat sarcastic in saying get rid of it all. But he did ask.

Logoz, thanks for the back up. I actually agree with your quiver idea for MI except I would have to add a "garage door" to it. I have a 168L ~80ish cm wide, Starboard Free Formula with a 8.5 V8 that was my most used rig in MI. I bought a 10.6 V8 but did not use it in MI because I moved (2006) prior to the lakes unfreezing. But would absolutely recommend adding a third board to the mix and an 8 plus size sail. That way you can at least get on the water. Something is better then nothing.... And you're right when it goes off it can really go Nuke! Lexington to name a place and not to forget that Canadian spot just off the bridge Smile

And like you I recommended Brian's site because he has a Map and Conditions section for all the sailing sites. Plus he's a great guy along with all the Michigan Kiters! And I would like to support his shop as much as possible. So here it is again www.greatlakeskiteboarding.com !

My quiver was: 4.7, 5.4, 6.4, 7.2, 8.5, ( 10.6 ). 91L, 120L, 168L.

I've said my peace. Now lets all stop bitch'n like asses and go sailing....the other day I nailed an after work session (3hrs) on a 6.4 and soon became overpowered. Everyone re-rigged to a 5/4.7....I went home because I was spent. These after work sessions are a new experience for me !!!
Terryg11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logosz85 wrote:
"CHunter" is correct in his assessment of the local Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor conditions and "TerryG11" is grasping at straws. I suspect he does not live here or lives in a much worse area so anything looks good to him/her.

I live in the Gorge, is that worse then?

That said, I'm sure you AA locals know better; it just seems that Muskeegan at any rate is very sailable, and very under-sailed--and looks like fun light wind waves or flat water inside.
logosz85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muskeegon can be very good and so can a variety of other locations here in the mitten state, but when you narrow the field down to only the weekends and then account for sketchey forcasting it makes it very frustrating to try and windsurf around here. Especially if you are from an area like the gorge or San-Fran. No sense comming here with the blinders on. You might as well know what you are getting into before you arrive.

PS: Ski Nautique makes a nice boat especially with the flying bridge roof rack and thumper sound system. Get the open bow and the babes will go crazy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: