myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Point Isabel cable cut?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faradroka1 wrote:
The same number of people who sail Berkeley would sail Pt. Isabel, so I think there is a large contingent of users who want this sensor up. I also believe that there are alternatives to the water treatment location.

Faradroka,
I agree with you about the Pt Isabel sensor. Pt Is (aka "the dog park") is a great place to sail, i used to sail there alot and still make it over there several times a year. Did Mud Puppies move closer to the water? If it's still next to the bathroom I would think it's sheltered by the trees too much for a sensor. Maybe up on a pole would work though. A Marina Bay sensor sounds good too.
timwnitram

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sensor on the south tip of Brooks island would be super sweet! There's the care-taker's house on the north end of the island, even there would be the better option then either Marina Bay or the dog park.

-Tim
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Uh, Carl...we have two places to sail in the east bay. Berkeley and Pt Isabel. Only one sensor works. So, we're getting half of the service for all of the price. Including those obnoxious ads that cover this page. Imagine living in the gorge and only having Home Valley and Stevenson sensors working for most of the season.

And guess what? All my gear IS in my truck ready to go, you dork.

Windog,
100% agree with you on the Pt Isabel sensor.

Andy (aka Windog??) was wanting a gauranteed FORCAST and that was
where my comments and jokes were intended.
burkely

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Hey iwindsurf, live up to your part of the deal and fix the fookin sensor at Pt Isabel already. Or give us a refund. This is becoming a real drag.

I sail Berkeley and Point Isabel exclusively. This sensor 'breakdown' halves the value of iwindsurf for me and many other East Bay sailors, and the problem has existed since May. Blaming OSHA rather than moving/fixing the sensor is like a sick joke. windoggie speaks the truth.

-burkely
andydavis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

...You're kidding, right?...
Come back to the real world Andy and put your bike in your van along with your windsurf stuff, just like the rest of us.

That was really just a summer is half gone/self loathing kind of rant. Of course, I know those forecasts are worse than random, but (against my better judgement) I rode my bike anyway.

Oh, and I don't put the bike in my truck because it is transportation for me, not recreation. In the summer (if it doesn't blow) I feel bad driving my vehicle around, wasting gas, contributing to global warming, etc...like I burnt up all that fuel for nothing.

The PI sensor, while inaccurate, was quite useful, especially when used in conjunction with Point Blunt. If Pt Blunt was >28, I could reliably rig a 5.0, even if PI was ~17...the differential reading was great.
radross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sensor didn't fall into the sludge at the waste treatment plant, how about placing it on to the old observation pier between the dog park landing and Marina Bay, ala the Sherman Markers.

As to where e bay sailors can go w/o TI, might want to try San Pablo Bay out of Lone Tree Park, next to Joseph Fishing resort in Rodeo. But,...that's another wind meter to talk about.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radross wrote:

As to where e bay sailors can go w/o TI, might want to try San Pablo Bay out of Lone Tree Park, next to Joseph Fishing resort in Rodeo. But,...that's another wind meter to talk about.

The problem with that is there's only parking for maybe 3cars/vans/pickups. You can't park inside the gate, least not when I've been there (midday in the middle of the week). And talk about sketchy surroundings...of course I though the same about Candlestick till I got used to it. THe locals are quite "friendly"...and amused.

J

p.s. (looking up to the heavens) Iwindsurf if you're listening it would be nice if on the sensor widn page under local info or similar the placement of the sensor could be stated...to aid in further wind condition clarity. Some have it some don't.
kevinpurdy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Pt Isabel cable cut? Reply with quote

Windoggies right. So is Burkely. I've tried to reason with the "iWinsurf team" via email resulting in nothing more than the offer of 1 months credit or a pro rated subscription refund. Also the lame answer that I'm not paying for preferential site use but rather the whole package. Is this the right response to a paying customer? I, like a lot of other East Bay sailors need and rely on the Berkeley and Pt Isabel site readings to be up,working and accurate . We all have busy lives and need this service to help fit sailing into it. I subscribe to iWindsurf for the sole reason of not wasting time looking for wind at my local spots. Come on team, it's time to take care of your customers. Oh yeah, there's putting up with those irritating flashing ads as well.

Last edited by kevinpurdy on Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
windy1jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Cal OSHA Reply with quote

Waiting for the Govt. to fix anything is a non starter. Move the site over to a non-regulatory location and get on with it.

The site is needed.

Trying to figure it out looking at other sites does not work.

Jim McFadden
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with all that has been said. We need the sensor up and running. Marina Bay is also a great location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: