myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Questions about the Gorge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Questions about the Gorge Reply with quote

Now that I finally (after 25 years) got to the Gorge, I'm left with some burning questions:

1. Why is the swell bigger at the Hatch than at Rowena?
2. Is the swell at the Hatch moving, or is it a standing wave?
3. Are there any places to shop for groceries in Hood River other than Safeway or Roseaurs? Like maybe a place that specializes in local organic produce?
4. Is there a fish market in the area?
5. What do people do about the sinus epoxy syndrome you get from snorting river water?
6. What do people do for PGDS (Post Gorge Depression Syndrome)?

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll come up with more.

Steve
salmon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about the Gorge Reply with quote

[quote="jse"]Now that I finally (after 25 years) got to the Gorge, I'm left with some burning questions:[quote]

I'll take a swing.

Quote:
1. Why is the swell bigger at the Hatch than at Rowena?

Longer upwind fetch and underwater topography.

Quote:
2. Is the swell at the Hatch moving, or is it a standing wave?
The energy from the wind is moving upriver but the waves tend to break in the same spot.

Quote:
3. Are there any places to shop for groceries in Hood River other than Safeway or Roseaurs? Like maybe a place that specializes in local organic produce?

Roseaurs has a large natural foods section and organic produce.

Quote:
4. Is there a fish market in the area?

Not really. Your best bet is to buy salmon or steelhead from the natives. Pay close attention to quality of the product. Or better yet, catch your own.

Quote:
5. What do people do about the sinus epoxy syndrome you get from snorting river water?

Don't snort it. I blow out through my nose as I'm going under and I've never had any problems I hear people complaining about.

Quote:
6. What do people do for PGDS (Post Gorge Depression Syndrome)?

Travel to Baja or Maui.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Fetch, wind speed and duration and consistency, bottom topography, current speed and direction, and traffic all affect river swell.

2. Any given swell is moving downwind, but the patches of good swell pretty much stay in the same spots, which will vary a bit with wind direction.

3. There are farmers' market stands and small kitschy food stores in and around HR, but be aware that much of the produce one finds at even roadside markets was picked green thousands of miles away weeks ago, gassed and refrigerated, trucked in just for farmers' markets, and sold alongside the apples Farmer Joe picked yesterday a block away.

4. I eat salmon often. I've had it fresh from the river (caught by a friend hours ago), from Copper River both store-bought and at upscale seafood restaurants, and from Costco. The best is consistently the latter, IMO.

5. When necessary, I flush my sinuses with the sinus-flushing bottle and solution kits available at any drugstore. I had chronic sinus infections, often obvious on MRIs, for decades until I began doing that. I have very small sinus drainage holes -- shown by MRI -- and river water can get forced in yet not drain out normally. After using the flushing kit for a few months a year or two ago, the infection hasn't returned. Flushing takes a couple of minutes.

6. While in the Gorge, I used calm days (i.e., days there was no wind from Newport to Port Kelley) to check out towns and jobs in the area. Finally found both and moved. Problem solved. The cost of living is low (very low compared to many areas), jobs are plentiful, weather's better than many parts of the country, and the sailing season runs from late April into November even for us barefooted, no-gloves wusses.

\m/
area54

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local Produce: Dickey Farms in Bingen, WA
hilton08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Mothers Market Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Are there any places to shop for groceries in Hood River other than Safeway or Roseaurs? Like maybe a place that specializes in local organic produce

Did you check out Mother's Market next door to Windance?
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Dalles" has an overlooked large Fred Meyers, that's like a walmart super store local Oregon style...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: