myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Point Isabel cable cut?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andydavis

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: shortchanged Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Ripped off is a better word. ... fix it soon or I'm outta here.

I believe, I'm down wit dat
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: not. OSHA has stepped in. Reply with quote

The iWindsurf Sensor Team is barred from fixing the sensor due to a governmental agency. So, we might want to redirect some of our frustration at the U.S. Department Of Labor and it's safety & health standards division, OSHA.

It IS windy and we all want this sensor back up. If anyone reading this has a tremendous amount of influence over OSHA, please contact iWindsurf.com. Otherwise, it looks like we need to wait for the water treatment plant to do their work and comply with OSHA (only then can iWindsurf get in and fix the sensor.)

Here's the update visible on the Pt. Isabel page on iW:

5/23/07: We have an update from the plant that hosts our station. It appears that the lamp standard that we were attached to has fallen down, so our cable was not cut as originally thought. However, OSHA has determined that most the lamp standards on the plant no longer meet safety specifications.

We are very sorry, but it looks like we will be without the Pt. Isabel sensor until the plant installs new lamp standards. This could be anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months. We apologize for the inconvenience.

osha_flagB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.18 KB
 Viewed:  14807 Time(s)

osha_flagB.jpg

faradroka1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm alone in this opinion, but I believe you can do better. The location of current downed sensor has never been ideal. A better location would be across the street at the Pt. Isabel launch, there is a small business called MudPuppies who I've contacted. I've also contacted the Ranger in charge of the park. All seem open to the idea of sensor placement there.

I have contacted Stuart and Jeff at iwindsurf, and I've told everyone involved I'll do the work to make this happen. This was back in mid May.
Ranger is Kevin Takei, Park Supervisor, 510.235.1631, ktakei@ebparks.org.
Owner is Eddy at http://www.mud-puppies.com/.

I was driving by yesterday, saw 6 windsurf vehicles at the launch, so went out. Stellar day on my 5.5 with lots of ramps.

If we aren't paying enough to encourage iwindsurf to setup better placement of a sensor that has been down all season, they should raise rates. If iwindsurf has the resources, they should move the sensor to a better (and privately funded) resource. Isobars jumps on us all the time whenever we try to get iwindsurf to do something non-capitalistic (see http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12260&highlight=pager+text), so here's a switch: Supply the agreed upon service.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about also adding a Marina Bay sensor? I know two sailors who live there... at least one of which agreed to host a IWS sensor last night when I talked to her.

kev
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey iwindsurf, live up to your part of the deal and fix the fookin sensor at Pt Isabel already. Or give us a refund. This is becoming a real drag.
andydavis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Hey iwindsurf, live up to your part of the deal and fix the fookin sensor at Pt Isabel already. Or give us a refund. This is becoming a real drag.

Yeah, yesterday was a real bummer. I looked out the window in the morning and said to myself that it looked like it would blow. But then checked out the (worthless) Iwindsurf forecast, which confidently predicted no wind in the eastbay, so I rode my bicycle to work in Richmond. Along about lunch time it started to blow here, and I could have left to get my stuff, but the 11:30 update again predicted no wind. With no way of verifying it, I stuck it out at work.

I rode back on the bike path past Pt Isabel -- a mistake...f!cking shrieking...at least 5.0, and only two guys out there. What a waste. To follow up on windoggie...Iwindsurf you are useless, give us a refund.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, Marina Bay was sweet yesterday... my buds and I were on 4.7 to 5.3 for hours. Very Happy Laughing
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andydavis wrote:
windoggie wrote:

Yeah, yesterday was a real bummer. I looked out the window in the morning and said to myself that it looked like it would blow. But then checked out the (worthless) Iwindsurf forecast, which confidently predicted no wind in the eastbay, so I rode my bicycle to work in Richmond. Along about lunch time it started to blow here, and I could have left to get my stuff, but the 11:30 update again predicted no wind. With no way of verifying it, I stuck it out at work.

I rode back on the bike path past Pt Isabel -- a mistake...f!cking shrieking...at least 5.0, and only two guys out there. What a waste. To follow up on windoggie...Iwindsurf you are useless, give us a refund.

Andy,
That's a funny story.
So you're saying Meterology is an exact science and forcasts come with
an implied warrentee? You're kidding, right?
That would mean that I should get a discount on my cable bill every time
the Weather Channel gets the forcast wrong.

Come back to the real world Andy and put your bike in your van along with your windsurf stuff, just like the rest of us.
Any forcast (IW or Weather Channel) is ment to be a guide, not a stone tablet from the holy mountain.
faradroka1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:

Andy,
That's a funny story.
So you're saying Meterology is an exact science and forcasts come with
an implied warrentee? You're kidding, right?
That would mean that I should get a discount on my cable bill every time
the Weather Channel gets the forcast wrong.

Come back to the real world Andy and put your bike in your van along with your windsurf stuff, just like the rest of us.
Any forcast (IW or Weather Channel) is ment to be a guide, not a stone tablet from the holy mountain.

He wouldn't need the forecast if the sensor was up. If the Weather Channel itself were out, you would be entitled to something from Comcast. I purchase yearly subscriptions to iWindsurf with the understanding that existing sensors will be supported. I love the service and want it to continue. What I don't want is for iwindsurf to blame the federal government for sensor outages.
Today there were 10 of us out at Pt. Isabel, we caught some of the wind before it died. Had the sensor been active, I might have headed down earlier and had a wonderful session. Not sure if its just numbers of users, but when 3rd Channel Marker sensor goes down, iwindsurf is all over it. The same number of people who sail Berkeley would sail Pt. Isabel, so I think there is a large contingent of users who want this sensor up. I also believe that there are alternatives to the water treatment location.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, Carl...we have two places to sail in the east bay. Berkeley and Pt Isabel. Only one sensor works. So, we're getting half of the service for all of the price. Including those obnoxious ads that cover this page. Imagine living in the gorge and only having Home Valley and Stevenson sensors working for most of the season.

And guess what? All my gear IS in my truck ready to go, you dork.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: