myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tide Level @ Haskins?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrobb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Tide Level @ Haskins? Reply with quote

What tide level should one look for at Haskins. Similar to PA(Palo Alto)?
What's a sailable range? What sensor to use...SFO?

J
markpaine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bottom limit is about 3.5 feet for sailing right off the launch. Or, if you're there looking at it and you can see more than 6 inches of "the tire", look out.
SFO sensor. Good on W, SW.
I was on the water at Haskins yesterday for about 3 hours when the tide was down to around 3.1 but felt more comfortable bearing off and heading farther out into the bay, even with my tiny sawn-off fin (about 16cm). The trade-off to bearing off is cleaner wind, choppier water. At low tide yesterday and 300 yards downwind I was still standing.

-Mark
npure2001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the poles marking the shopping carts still in place? We were thinking of painting water level markings on them.

Generally, I like Haskins and the Stick on a flood/slack tide.

Gabor
Jrobb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.

Is the wind any less shifty than Candlestick? It's been rediculous there the last few weeks. I checked out Haskins the other day Sat. It looked fun. I assume you launch down the path and at the little flattened patch to the East along the path...

J
markpaine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three PVC markers are still in place--they're great. My thanks to whomever took the initiative to put them out there while I was off in Bonaire. Smile I don't see a real big need for water level markings on them though, especially since they're striped with red paint. For people with, say, 11 or 12 inch fins I'd stay away until you don't see the tire, which coincides, I think, with about 3.5 feet on the Oyster tide chart.

To launch, walk east along the newly paved Bay Trail. You'll see rigging carpets on the right and a little path through some reeds into the water. At less than 4.5 feet you'll see some mud and footprints.

This year has been gustier and shiftier at Haskins more than any other year I can remember. If it's too shifty inside, bear off 300 yards until you're well east of "fisherman's point" on the north side and "jet fuel tank point" on the south side.

I couldn't care less about water condition differences caused by the flood or ebb (because they're imperceptible to me), but I tend to prefer the flood simply because it means that the exit is a bit less muddy.

Bring water to rinse off with. See you there.

-Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: