myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Did anybody catch that NW Wind Yesterday??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Did anybody catch that NW Wind Yesterday?? Reply with quote

To Bruce and All:

Yesterday the outer Cape (Cod) was ground zero for a fantastic NW blow. Location - Skaket Beach

While being depressed about not having the energy to go out Friday night. The weather man said that Saturday was supposed to be "breezy" from the NW. That usually means hit it first thing or you'll be sorry. I woke up for a nature break at 2:00am and it was blowin a gale. I was so pumped about the potential of getting a sunrise session (high tide @ 6) and work issues kept me awake for the rest of the night.

4:45 breakfast, 5:30 work to leave a message, on the water by 6:10.

Sun - A (zero clouds), Temp - A (60F), Wind - A (strong 5.0 all morning, no gusts and no lulls), Water - A (warm), Body - A (no aches and pains to start), Effort - A (non stop jump, gibe & drag race for over 2 hours), Execution - A (no big "over the handle bars" style crashes), Company - A (local sailor / friend showed up half way through), Impact to Family life - A (everyone slept in past 7, they never missed me) Add up all those criteria and that's an A+ in my book. It's already a canidate for "best" of the summer!!!!

I went to bed last night sick from lack of sleep and total body / muscle failure.

For Bruce / Sinbad and anyone else who knows the outer cape. Think Pleasant Bay chop times 2 or 3.

thanks for reading, RC
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. I'll have to check out Skaket Beach in a NW. I wonder if Chapin would have been just as good?

I got out for a few hours closer to home, Boston Harbor- Hough's Point, late in the day. It was supposed to be light SW winds by then but it was still pretty good NW, 6.2. It definately had some holes but it was fun, planed about 75%, got some chop hopping.

http://waterloggedbyscooper.blogspot.com/
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I posted something about it in the What's up with the Forecasts thread. I was out yesterday, Sunday, late in the afternoon. When I arrived at the south cape beach, it was blowing surprisingly hard and above the forecasted winds. I just looked at the archived record and this confirmed my observations. The winds abated late in the afternoon Kalmus to Menauhant, but it seems that at West Falmouth it stayed strong until dark. Yes, some of the welcomed old faces are back, too. The boaters are getting thick as thieves, though, and getting up early for a session Saturday was a sign that you know what you are doing, Ron. The Falmouth Life Guards and Parking lot attendants started working this past weekend, too. Sticker season has commenced.
flaherty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to get there early at Chapin. I went to Corporation. Got there at
9am , was windy. By the time I got out it dropped off. One guy showed up
with a 7.5 sail and very wide board, he was planning. Living on the cape
definetly has it's advantages. ( I don't)
I did sail yesterday at WD , 5.0 , for about an hour and a half. Waves were small at the rocks, but got a few nice jumps in.
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I took a walk along the shore, and it looked inviting. There was a stiff wind and some surf on M.V. Sound. Looking at the charts it has been building all afternoon. Mondays can be great days because the crouds have left, but there was plenty of traffic along the shore road in Falmouth and the airpark has been rather noisy. Temps in Boston have been predicted for the mid-nineties tomorrow. I remember back when I used to drive to the Cape for sailing. A couple of local guys, ten years younger than I, who were excellent sailors told me that there was more wind than they could handle on the Cape. Sometimes, I really feel that way. Although the wind and surf always tempt me, I feel that since I moved here I've gotten in enough sailing for a lifetime. When I tell them that down at Waquoit Bay, they suggest that I take up kiting. Whatever, I expect tomorrow to be a good day for windsurfing and will probably do just that.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any access restrictions to Skaket Beach in the summer?
ron.c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI:

2 big ones:

1. Water, 2 hours either side of low tide. I've started late in a tide several times and had to make the long walk in. The big tide influence does add to flavor to it. Chop or Bay swells start at 6" and work their way up. Because of the flat bottom, you don't get the high on-shore waves that corporation beach gets, but the jumping can get pretty good just the same.

2. Parking. On a hot summer day, its tough to get a spot between 11 and 3:30

If you are shaky on the parking, wait to the fall when its free and clear.

RC
cjanson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron,
Great to hear of someone out ripping in that part of the north side. Its been a long time since I've caught a NW session there. Back about 10 years ago I used to launch from Linell landing in Brewster and play around in the nice waves off of Namskaket creek. Its always best early in the morning on an incoming tide. But youre right--- gotta watch the tide or be willing to walk a looooooong ways in.

If I am lucky, I get 1 or 2 sessions there a year now when visiting my parents.
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am concerned you have to watch the tide at any of the north cape beaches. On the south it's a little less serious, but at some locations it helps to know the daily tides. Ron, do they charge for parking or look for stickers at Skaket in the summer?
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Bruce for the tardy response.

Yeah they charge. It's $10+.

The only time I'd pay that kind of money in the summer is for a good NW blow. S / SW / W are good, but so are alot of other beaches.

I'm hooked becasue it 5 minutes from home. I make the trip to Kalmus if I can't do it at home.

Man what a week: Saturday - A+, Monday Night - Solid A (still alittle stiff from Sat) and Tonight - A (surfing at Nauset)

Time to do the dishes, supervise slumber party and bed.

RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: