myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What happened to the guy (Tom) that lost his fin at 3rd ave?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juk1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: What happened to the guy (Tom) that lost his fin at 3rd ave? Reply with quote

Hello,

6/24/09 3rd ave

Some one came to shore today and said there was a windsurfer that had lost his fin in the channel. Since I carry a VHF I called the coast guard and talked them through the situation/location as best I could. I was told to stand by, I did see the coast guard show up later but never got confirmation of the pick up. I waited for a couple hours but didn't hear anything any more. Just curious what happened, was he picked up? Was he able to get to shore? It was blowing 28+ at the time, not an easy task to sail back without a fin.

Thanks
tcevans

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juk1,

I got picked up by a sailboat and taken back to redwood city marina. When I got on board I called the CG, and told them I didn't need asistence anymore.

Thanks for calling the CG. I've sailed back in to TI without a fin once, but that was a 6.2 day. I was getting nowhere finless today.

When I got back to 3rd, I looked for those who helped out to let them know I'm OK, but didn't see anyone.

Thanks,
Tom

FYI, I posted the following just before you ....

Quote:
Today was a great day at 3rd Ave until the fin snapped clean off while I was pretty far (~2 mi) out.

Thanks to Jerry for trying to tow me back in and staying with me until a boat arrived, to Randy for sailing back in to call the CG, and especially to Mike in the McGregor 23 for fishing me out of the water.

Unfortunately, I lost the sail and got hole in my board while getting everything on the boat.

If anyone finds a gold & black NP 4.7 Search with a NP Maui/Nela sticker floating around let me know. Also looking for recomendations for local board repair.

- Tom
hahn2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... there was a Coast Guard guy at 3rd at around 7PM ... a "real" one with a uniform, not one of those volunteer guys. I asked him if everyone was accounted for. He said no one was lost, but he kept eyeballing the horizon trying to see who was out there. It seemed to me there was more to it. Maybe he was there due to the broken fin report, but he did not say so.
tomg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the guy that Juk1 talked to in the launch area after he noticed that I too had a marine radio on my harness.

Glad to hear that you got rescued by the sail boat. I figured you were picked up by a pleasure boat south of the bridge after seeing the CG boat hightail it out of the area -they were throwing 20 foot bow splash as they barrelled into the wind and that psycochop. This is exactly the way the system is suppose to work. The key, of course, is for the rescued or others in the know to call CG and call off the search.

BTW did the fin come loose or did it snap off? Just curious.

-Tom G
tcevans

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snapped clean off. I was riding the swell, cutting back up the face and SNAP!
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its cool that you did not get hurt or injured. I am sure you are greatful to be back on dry land. Glad your ok!

So the fin actually snapped off at the base? Was it powerbox or the wimpy
us-box? How large was the fin.

A classic fubar is running a 13" 31cm fin in a USbox and wondering why the box failed. It happened to me Embarassed

Next to losing your Uni the fin is the other thing you can ill prepare for.
alextarg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Broken Fin Self Rescue that really works Reply with quote

I recently broke a trimbox fin (fragmented the base in the box) sailing a l14 inch fin overpowered in chop outside at Coyote and had a long swim in. This was the second time in 15 years.

I often sail way outside without a buddy. Now, in my PFD backpack I carry a spare 26 cm fin with bolts, a phillips head screwdriver and rustproof plastic covered hammer to pound out the base or fragments with the screwdriver inserted through the deck holes. I also have broken my lines, so I bring a spare Pryde harness line since you put those on with velcro and do not need to take the boom apart.

Spinnaker technical sewing in Mtn View can put the appropriate pockets on the back of a PFD to hold all this stuff with velcro and plastic clips. Then, for speedsurfing, you do not even need a weight jacket since the PFD, VHF radio, flares, rope, knife, strobe and above weighs about 6 Lbs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: