myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ASD Update and Coyote sensor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: ASD Update and Coyote sensor Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with John Miller.

ASD open weekends, generally from 12 - 5. Call John: 650 921-1513

John is doing general board repairs. Nose dings, replace footstrap screws and so on.

Sensor is down as the actual sensor failed. ASD loans iwindsurf their phone line, nothing to do with ASD. They are meant to be coming down to repair today.
windwiner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the shop open since this last post. I swung by there today, a fairly windy Saturday in the middle of the season and the shop was closed. Does anyone know what the scoop is? And what are other sailors prefered alternative shops in the bay area. I would prefer to spend my windsurfing "allowance" locally rather than mail order shops.
mtnview

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: ASD Update and Coyote sensor Reply with quote

ASD is pretty much done. John and Bob were doing it as a part time thing over the last few years, but neither one has the time to put in anymore. There have been sightings of John now and then, but no new gear has been ordered and when you do see him he's just trying to sell off the rest of what he's got left over in the shop. No regular hours, no rentals, very sad...

Helm is a shop very near ASD, they carry JP boards and Neil Pryde sails. IMO, the best shop left is Delta Windsurf out on Sherman Island near Rio Vista. They carry a lot of the same brands that ASD did, like North sails and RRD & Mistral boards.
markpaine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame about ASD. I'll admit that I think Delta is the best windsurf shop anywhere, bar none, but I always liked John and Bob. I was hoping to pick up a mast from them just this afternoon.

One thing I won't miss though is the Coyote sensor. Of all the sensors in the triangle formed by Sherman, Crissy, and 3rd, I'd say that Coyote bears by far the least semblance to what's actually happening on the water (okay, okay, I forgot about Sierra Point which doesn't seem to reflect any sort of relevant reality, and Alameda since I never go there, but at least it can claim the virtue of accurately reflecting the calm on the water).

I think the best proxy for Coyote is to take the SFO and 3rd Ave channel readings and figure it out from there. Usually far more accurate than looking at the Coyote reading.
carl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
I think you've been retired too long, time to move out of the van and get back to work! :>)

You are wrong about the Coyote sensor, it is VERY useful, it was sorely missed when it was down for a few weeks. It measures the wind inside very accuratly, which is very important if you want to get outside!!..
I live and work about 35 miles away so it is invaluable to know if I should make the long drive in all that traffic during the week. I was flying blind when it was down.

The Sierra Pt sensor is probably usefull to boaters at Oyster Pt Marina,
remember Wearher Flow caters to boaters as well as w.s.ers. It is somewhat usefull on SE storm wind at the Oyster launch, although SFO seems better but it's only updated every hour.

Back on topic,,,,Yes,, John, Bob and ASD will be definatly missed!
windwiner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its a bummer about ASD, and a bummer that the best bay area shop is now so far away! Not to be a vulture but if ASD is going to have a going out of business sale, I would really like to know about it. John if your reading this, sorry dude, but shoot me a message so that I can help relieve you of some inventory.
I agree that Coyote sensor has always been very helpful to have a better idea of what's happening at the launch. Use THAT in connection with the SFO and 3rd Ave info and your about as in tune as you can be with out being there. Will the sensor go away now?
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday one of the rangers stopped by to ask me if I knew what was going on with John and if I had seen him recently. He told me that an eviction notice posted on the shop. Shocked

Lots of stuff going on but none of it good. Hard to have a thriving windsurf shop and rental when the beach access is fenced off!

Helm is still alive and well.

Mad
mo
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a facility very close to Coyote.

I will contact iwinsurf. They can mount a cam or sensor on top of my facility, should help out.

I actually never look at the sensor, I use the bend of teh palm trees at the old drive in movie theatre as a guage, works a charm!

My facility roof actually has an unobstructed view of the bay. Coyote to Embassy and doesn't sit the shadow either.

Anyone have a good idea on a good outside cam to use?

I'll swing by ASD tomorrow again, what a complete bummer, this really does suck.
npure2001

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markpaine wrote:
I forgot about Sierra Point which doesn't seem to reflect any sort of relevant reality,

It can be indicative of what's going on at Tigers. If it's SW Tigers is filled in. If it's limp Tigers may be dead. Not a sure thing, but an extra data point.

Gabor

Wow. ASD is gone. Thanks, Mr. Neil Pryde for bringing us the $1000 sail.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

npure2001 wrote:
Wow. ASD is gone. Thanks, Mr. Neil Pryde for bringing us the $1000 sail.

Huh???

ASD was not a NeilPryde dealer. What $1000 sail are you talking about?

Question
mo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: