myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Southern NJ - SW Seabreeze Setup - Bermuda High?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MurrayHadleyWsrf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Southern NJ - SW Seabreeze Setup - Bermuda High? Reply with quote

In the past it's seemed to me that southern NJ (Lakes Bay) June thermals worked pretty consistently if the prevailing breeze was SW. This June for some reason we are still stuck in a NW pattern most mornings. For general weather, i'm not complaining, nor is anyone else (especially non-windsurfers). However the sailing seems much less consistent than June saiiling has been in previous seasons.

Is a weak Bermuda High at fault? Is it ever going to get going Question
Maybe it has a hangover.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/whothumd.htm
http://www.weathernotebook.org/transcripts/1997/07/17.html

Maybe iWindsurf folks could comment.
ride-no-work

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's me, but it seems the last couple of years the thermals have not been that reliable. I know it is tough in this sport to work a real job and try to catch it on a weekend. I can just remember getting more wind on the weekends in the past.
Don't want to sound negative but maybe we are caught in some cycle, or I need more wind to have fun.
Peace
nilsstolz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same deal here in Corpus Christi, Texas. Much less wind than usual. The west coast on the other hand, specially San Francisco Bay are having the best winds that anyone can remember with maybe 1 day out of the month when it is not good to great. Our turn will come again...........
wsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Lakes Bay Reply with quote

It's all about ocean water temp vs. inland temp. Lakes Bay rocks when there is a big difference between the two.
SW really helps that !!!

Nothing is given, go to the best windsurfing destinations in the world and you can get skunked!!!

Still a very sweet site May-July for thermals and good any other time when the wind is blowin'.

Laughing
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nilsstolz wrote:
Same deal here in Corpus Christi, Texas. Much less wind than usual. The west coast on the other hand, specially San Francisco Bay are having the best winds that anyone can remember with maybe 1 day out of the month when it is not good to great. Our turn will come again...........

I live in the SF Bay Area now but used to live on SPI and agree with your view on the cyclical nature of wind. Our great Spring sailing is probably related to the dry winter and spring that we have had, which has translated in Texas to fewer low pressure systems approaching Texas to generate wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: