myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How Many Days a Year Do You Get On the Water?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markpaine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year might be a bit of an anomaly for me. I got in about 50 days in Bonaire between January 1 and February 24 when I started the move back to San Francisco. Since being back here in SF I've gotten all but about 10 days since March 1st, so I guess that puts me at 105 days in SF, 50 days in Bonaire, about 155 days this year so far. But 2 of those days I suffered frustration meltdown and quit after about 15 minutes, so maybe they don't count. Anyway, I'll easily get 200+ this year, but normally I'd say around 180-200.

Secrets to getting out? Being irresponsibly semi-retired, going out in any and all conditions (I enjoy light wind and I laugh at the word "skunked"), watching the iWindsurf forecasts (yes, I think they're good *and* worthwhile), and some guy named Kevin calls me every now and then to see where I'm headed.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on day 61. Been keeping a log sincce 2002. Usually includes one WS vacation per year. This year... 2! Maui in April and I'm driving home from the Gorge today. My goal over the past 3+ years is to saill in every month of the year. I've been successful. I like sailing storms, but summer is better. Wife doesn't sail but supports me. The most important thing is being self employed. With each new client I set down the rules - Meetings in the morning, don't expect to contact me between 2:00 and 6:00. Last year sailed around 120 days.

Steve
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt,

I'm not in training now, that occurs during the spring and winter when I don't get to sail that much. I don't get the same number of days that you guys get because my season is condensed and I'm an hour away from Sherman. So when I hit the water I only get off to take in fluids, change a fin/sail/board or go to the bathroom. No Iso's, I don't pee in my wet suit! A shorty comes off very quickly on the rare days I wear it.

My buds are at Sherman 4-6 times a week and I'm only there once or twice. They roll on the ground laughing when I show up because I unload, rig and sprint to the water before they can even rig. A normal day for me at Sherman is on the water at noon and off around 7 pm so I don't have to drive home on the levy road in the dark.

Coachg
oldgrommet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live in the Bay Area. 51 yo. Spend 10 days a month in Maui. Sail between 80 and 90 days a year, only in Maui (I've done my time in a wetsuit! Use to surf 200+ days/yr. in Santa Cruz before I learned to love wind). Get some kite days and surf days too, average about 110 water days a year. Helps that the wife surfs/sails too. Only sailed in Maui and the DR. Use to kite 90 days a year (3rd/Alameda/Waddell).

Funny thing is I use to come to Maui four times a year to surf, and would alway bitch that the surf was often crummy. After two trips of barely knee high surf, I said let's learn to sail, cuz Maui's always windy. I figured we could always sail if there is no surf. I went from surfing 150 days a year to 10, once I got bit by the wind bug.

Besides, surfers are mostly as#$&es, at least in the water, windsurfers are good people. Kiters come in somewhere between.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was anal keeping a log Wink

Quit logging in '05 but the previous 5 years I averaged 138 days (all at Coyote). Maui was the only other location and I didn't keep score for those days. Worst year was '04 at 100 days when I was AOL for July and August.

Like Gerritt, I kept count of days, boards and sails. Too lazy to do it any more.

Smile
mo
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. Why do so many of us sail a lot at coyote, third has the chanel which is wonderful and the windsurf zone there works pretty well. Is it because it is less crowded, more friendly, no problem with parking, no kites, wind blows most every day this time of year? Wind may last longer there, safer, less affected by tides? I like third a lot but more often I end up at coyote when I'm down there.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
I have a question. Why do so many of us sail a lot at coyote, third has the chanel which is wonderful and the windsurf zone there works pretty well. Is it because it is less crowded, more friendly, no problem with parking, no kites, wind blows most every day this time of year? Wind may last longer there, safer, less affected by tides?

I think you answered your own question. Wink

I live in Foster City and 3rd is just around the corner but I prefer Coyote. I've only sailed 3rd a handful of times and mostly from the old launch.

mo
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS; like everyone else I miss Jay a lot.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="coachg"]No Iso's, I don't pee in my wet suit! A shorty comes off very quickly on the rare days I wear it. quote]

Wait 'til your bladder gets older. I sometimes HAVE to take two or even three major whizzes in one session, so going ashore to remove a shorty or full suit wastes too much shred time. It's easy to flush out a suit with water that's not too cold.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: