myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How Many Days a Year Do You Get On the Water?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: How Many Days a Year Do You Get On the Water? Reply with quote

Lets start an informal poll. How many days a year do you sail? Do you keep a log? Where do you sail? Married/Significant other? Does she/he sail also?

Here goes:

At least 100 per year, sometimes 120. I've kept a log since 1998. Coyote, Third, Davenport. Mix in a little TI, Crissy, and Delta. Married to non-sailor, so I generally don't sail weekends.

Key to more Days on the Water: Van at the ready and IW. Oh yea, self employed - the boss sails too!
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to approach 100 days, maybe closer to 50 or 60. But should we be counting days or hours? I'm off during the summer so many of my days are at least 6 hours of sailing. Delta, lakes and Hawaii are my sailing sites. I'm married to a non-sailor & coach football so not too many weekends sailing unless it is winter. Key to more time on water? 74 liter to 160 liter boards and 3.5 up to 10.6 sails. It's gotta be under 10 mph for me not to plane.

Coachg
carl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Average about 100 days/year, mostly Coyote, also sail: Stick, Palo Alto, Oyster Pt, HMB, eastbay and 2+ trips/year to Maui.
I even log sail/board size used, May/June are always the windest months and I use 6.0 by far the most (200lbs).
Sail all year mostly weekends and about 1 or 2 days during m-f weekdays during April-Sept, if it looks good (IW is great).
Also work 40+ hours per week.
Not too proud to sail big stuff in the off season and winter storm sailing is great fun.
Married to non-sailor (and usually sail weekends). We have independant
activities, so we do our own thing in the afternoons.
The mini-van is loaded year-round, and logs too many miles going up hwy 280 from the southbay.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail reno/sfbay sites and nearly 3 weeks in maui every year in july. I do keep a log and sail 50 days that are really countable every year. So what is a countable day? for me, at least 20 minutes of real planing shortboard sailing. an hour of slogging with occasional planing doesn't count for me. I am 225 pounds and this year have sailed my 6-0 almost every time. Boards are 100 or so to 129 liters- biggest sail is 6-8. I.e. if 6-8 on 129 won't go then I watch and wait. I've tried bigger gear but the fun factor goes down a lot. So, what is a countable day? BTW i fully expect someone to post that they sail over 400 days a year on 4-0 or smaller sails for 10 hours etc.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: days Reply with quote

3 yr old son+ agro-non sailor wife= 50 days of Crissy Tomales Larkspur . Plus I have a suit wearing job, all in all not bad.

Boggsie
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: days Reply with quote

3 yr old son+ agro-non sailor wife= 50 days of Crissy Tomales Larkspur . Plus I have a suit wearing job, all in all not bad.

Boggsie
victor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm on day #80. first year i've kept a log. heard someone sailed over 100 so i wanted to see if i was getting that much. should do it by the middle of next month easy. almost half at crissy, most of those on 5.0. also hit bodega and all points south as far as candlestick. don't need no stinking maui vacations to get days on the water.

non-sailing wife, self employed, last kid graduated h.s. last week.
gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My log entries include board and sail size used along with hours and notes of the day. Its a nice way to log your progression. I count any day where I get wet as a day. I typically sail between an hour to two hours. A long session is 3 hours, unlessI'm on vacation on Maui or San Carlos. Then I'll get multiple sessions the same day. I've never put in over 3.5 hrs without a break. I'm reading Ultra Marathon Man, by Dean Karnazes right now. He is also a windsurfer. I have heard of a few marathon windsurfer sessions, but never was too interested. Coach sounds like he is in training. Six hours! Hard core!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't log it, but my shadow does, in detail. According to his log he gets in roughly 75 days a year, so I must, too. Not many days for a full-time sailor, but mine are all on 5.2-3.2 (low 20s minimum wind speed), majority on 65-liter board @ 190, rest on 83 liters, almost exclusively "out east" in the Gorge, and range from 2 to 10 hours, usually 3-6 . . . whatever the wind allows. Used to sail a lot more, but that required living in a van down by the river so I didn't miss anything; now it's cherry-picking. Wife used to sail, but short board winds scared her off minny moons ago.

Doesn't sound like a lot until you consider that I've been doing it for 27 years now, most of it full time. My best estimates at miles logged bumps six figures, mostly on short boards, more than half on sinkers.

Then there were dirt bikes 3-6 days a week for a couple of decades before WSing, plus a decade on snowmobiles, both of which were more fun than WSing. And, oh, yeah . . . SCUBA, skiing, street luge and skateboards, team sports . . .

Life's a blast if ya don't let work devour it, and it ain't over yet.

\m/
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last time i counted, i was getting about 160 days... but i'm sailing more often now, so maybe 175-200 ish? i pretty much sail every day in the summer, and i love storm sailing in the winter too!

kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: