myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Berkeley Sensor Calibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Berkeley Sensor Calibration Reply with quote

Seems like the wind reading for Berkeley this year has been reading high by about 4 MPH or so this year. Anybody else noticing this, or is just me?
jo_and_mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. with you on that, with readings below about 25 at any rate.
veterduet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: berkeley sensor Reply with quote

It's been 4mph or so high for a while. A more accurate wind gage can be accessed by phone at (510) 843-3446.
timwnitram

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windtalker for Berkeley has been down all season. I called and someone said the phone line was cut. Anyone have any info about that?

-Tim
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Berkeley Sensor Calibration Reply with quote

My experience is that the windtalker is working normally, except for direction. It has always been about 4-5 mph lower than iWind sensor, which may be combination of location/height plus perhaps more accurate calibration. Easy to adjust "mental calibration" based on either sensor. Final determination is on-site measurement anyway, and even that is only accurate for that moment as we all have experienced. David
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always though that the windtalker reading was low... and the IWS sensor used to be pretty accurate. Now, it seems like it's somewhere in between. I guess I was hoping that IWS could calibrate the sensor, so it's readings are more inline w/ the readings of their other sensors in the Bay.

kev
WindDoll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Berkeley windsensor versus 3rd Channel and Sherman Markers Reply with quote

Sailing my 4.6 bash and 85 liter rrd at Berkeley, 3rd, and Sherman within one week.

Average wind hitting about 25 in Berkeley, sustaining 27 at 3rd (ebbing), and about 24 at Sherman (flooding), I was perfect in Berkeley, a little opped at 3rd, and keeping up with the flood at Sherman only in the peaks.

So, it seems to me the sensors are pretty much the same.

Also, when Sherman or 3rd says 15, hardly anyone's sailing, but at Berkeley, there are people out--I conclude that the low level is reasonably calibrated, too.

Berkeley is cocked "north" by 22.5 degrees. (It says WNW when it should say W.)
Sandman510

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a windy spring, but I agree the readings are a little high.
Maybe it's just that the meter is 35 feet up off the water at Hs Lardshits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: