myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailboard volume chart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patmegrath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Sailboard volume chart Reply with quote

Where can one find a chart that accurately recommends windsurfing board volume based on factors such as wind speed and sailor weight?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sailboard volume chart Reply with quote

patmegrath wrote:
Where can one find a chart that accurately recommends windsurfing board volume based on factors such as wind speed and sailor weight?

In la-la-land.
There are far too many variables, probably at least a dozen significant ones, not even counting the most significant: preference. You will see two guys the same size sailing together on boards as different as a Hummer and a Miata -- I'm talking volume ratios of 3:1 -- with both of them loving it. Almost any generalization I might make would have many significant exceptions. We'll need more specific questions to help you.

Hee, hee . . . if this sport could be reduced to valid charts, everybody would be doing it.

\m/
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a funny chart because to start with, everybody should ideally be on the same 80 liter board when the wind goes upto about 25kts. The big variables are that people have different skill levels of being able or even willing to sail small boards. Heavyweights have trouble slogging and planing with small boards and lightweights have trouble with overpowered sails. Then there's gusty up/down winds that would make that chart unreadable. As Mike says everybody has their preferences.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also know expert sailors who prefer 175 liters to 75 in 40 mph winds.

\m/
sharkasm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Volume Reply with quote

Minimum Board volume is only relevant to the need for "float". Once you have established that need, at say 90 or 100 ltrs , that becomes your light wind or largest board needed. when the wind is solid it becomes a personal preference, I personally want as small a board as possible because it becomes more maneuverable and easier on the knees. There aint no chart, the variables and preferernces are not quantifyable.
sergem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

You want a chart - you get a chart. Isn't this forum wonderful? Smile

http://videojibe.com/?p=16

Smallest uphaulable is pretty darn close for me.

The formula is claimed to be from starboard forums (if anyone can find the source post at starboard, I would be grateful).
carl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat this is your lucky day!
Sergem's post reminded me of another chart:

http://www.windsurfingclassifieds.com/wizard.asp
patmegrath

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Sailboard volume chart Reply with quote

YES this forum is wonderful. Thank you everyone, for your helpful advice. Because I am not very advanced and not very sensitive to equipment performance, the calculators(charts) were very helpful at providing equipment reference or starting points. The Windsurfingclassifieds.com was OK but the ranges were to broad to be very useful except for narrowing down a shopping list. The Videojibe.com was very impressive and accurate especially for sail size. It's calculation of board volume seems to be accurate only for low wind speeds(the largest sail size you bring with you). Pat
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sailboard volume chart Reply with quote

patmegrath wrote:
It's calculation of board volume seems to be accurate only for low wind speeds(the largest sail size you bring with you). Pat

Sail size is also not "chartable". We've all seen guys of the same size sailing together on sails of 2:1 difference, and differences up to 50% are very common.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: