myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
MAUI in August where to stay, where to sail?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sergem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check these threads for some of your questions:
http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12287
http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12489

Staying-wise, I tried www.homeaway.com, VRBO
tsokat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO where you stay with your family will depend upon your budget. You will want to stay either in Wailea (more expensive and luxurious) or Khei (less expensive) and sail at Kanaha, Specks or Khei depending on the wind direction. In general, North Shore=ENE or NE and Khei= N or NNE. I am headed for Maui on Sunday and am totally looking forward to it even though we had THE BEST spring sailing in the Bay Area in 10 years!
weihlac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Maui in August Reply with quote

Maui has no resorts where you can stay on the beach and use equipment on site. You must rent from one of the local shops (the big three-Neal Pryde, Hi-Tech, Hawaiian Island Surf & Sail are within 1/2 mi of the airport and ~1 mi from Kanaha-you can change gear during the day). You will need to rent at least 2 sails and preferably 3, although if you have sails in the 3.5-5.5 m you can take them with you. Don't take anything bigger than 5.5 - if you really need it, you can rent it, but August is peak high wind season (20-30+ every day). Most guys are on 4.5-5.5 sails, or smaller, at that time of year. Boards are usually in the 75-90L size depending upon your size. >100L is usually too big.

You will need to rent a car (van or station wagon). Maui Vans (http://www.mauivans.com/) rents windsurfing vehicles with racks etc. Local car rentals (Hertz etc) are not very windsurfer friendly.

Places to stay- there are lots of condos (mostly 1-2 bedroom but some 3 bedroom) in Kihei, that are not too expensive. Hotels are expensive- summer is NOT low season in Maui. If you are going primarily to sail, as opposed to golf, do NOT stay in the Lahaina, Ka'anapail, Kapalua, Kahana, Napili areas as they are far (45+ min) from the sailing sites along a two lane road with lots of traffic tie-ups. You can find ads in Windsurf magazine for condos, or find them on the web.

Have fun-best sailing in the world. If you have questions, ask me. I live in Maui.

Al from Maui (just sailed Kanaha overpowered on a 4.7)
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like at your level you'll want to focus on Kanaha. If the wind is really north consider Kihei, but Kihei is so gusty most of the time that IMHO, it's not worth considering unless there's no wind on the north shore.

Any of the shops previously mentioned will outfit you just fine. If you have a big budget you could rent a house on the north shore, just upwind of Kanaha. Otherwise, go with a condo in Kihei. Before I lived here, I stayed in Village by the Sea and was pretty satisfied. Maui Sunset is also a popular condo for windsurfers.

Contrary to popular belief and some previous posts, August is NOT peak wind season. Yes summer, especially July, is the high wind season, but my experience living here for several years is that August is peak hurricane season and though we haven't been threatened by a hurricane in the last several years, they do have a habit of wandering into the normal trade wind flow in August and shuttting down the trades or diminishing them quite a bit in August. That isn't to say that you should worry about getting skunked, just that you can't necessarily count on 20 - 30 mph trades every day in August. I've seen several days in a row in August with light or no wind. I've needed my 5.7 in August at times and at times I could have used a 12.0 meter sail and Formula board. Then again, you might also need a 3.5. My experience is that August is highly variable. It can nuke. It can go dead. There are no guarantees of wind here.

If you want to keep tabs on what's going on here on a daily basis or get more info, check out www.mauiwindsurfing.net.

Aloha!
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to mauisports.com and they can set you up with a nice vacation rental and clue you in on rental packages
Bayside

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a verteran but staying on the north sure is so much less hassle than Kihei. There are a lot of house rentals available and some condos right on the beach eg Sugar Cove - if you're used to 3rd then you would like it there, nice swell and no breaking waves. And for beginners, Kanaha is 10mins away.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kihei to Kanaha comute is not bad, about 15-25 min depending
on what part of Kihei and if there's traffic. There's some nice resort condos in Kihei. Yes, you're right on the water on the north side but if you have a non-windsurfing spouse, she may not enjoy the frequent jet noise from Kahului airport.
OTOH, If she's a w.s.er, she probably wouldn't care, cause the launch and beach is so nice. If you get a house on Stable Rd you can easily walk over to Kanaha cove where they teach.
Beginner sailors would be much better off taking lessons at Kanaha cove, usually done in the morning. Maui in an August afternoon is not a place for beginners. Check with Alan Cadiz at Hi-tech for excellent lessons, they'll probably be waterstarting by week's end.
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's several place to get lessons. Beginner lessons are usually held in the morning around 9:00am in a sheltered cove at Kanaha. Winds are often still manageable in the morning. For lessons, check out this page:

http://www.mauiwindsurfing.net/mauiwindsurfinginfo/info.cfm?info=shops - Scroll down to the bottom of the page for lesson info

Someone mentioned Sugar Cove condos and renting houses on Stable road. Very nice accommodations usually. Something to keep in mind with those locations though is that you're under the flight path of the airport so you'll get a lot of noise from jets taking off - less so at Sugar Cove than on Stable Road but still an issue if you're a light sleeper.
DrWind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Maui South Coast Reply with quote

Has anyone tried sailing the south coast of Maui, past La Perouse Bay towards Kaupo Gap (Route 31, which I heard is closed near Hana due to the 2006 earthquake, worries of rock slides.). Looks as though this could be the windiest part of the island, but also the most remote. I am note sure there is any access.

Lars
DrWind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Maui South Coast Reply with quote

Has anyone tried sailing the south coast of Maui, past La Perouse Bay towards Kaupo Gap (Route 31, which I heard is closed near Hana due to the 2006 earthquake, worries of rock slides.). Looks as though this could be the windiest part of the island, but also the most remote. I am note sure there is any access.

Lars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: