myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Creature sighted at Candlestick 06/13/07 " Nessy"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrobb wrote:
There's a seal (harbor seal maybe) that hangs out at the stick sometimes...

The mid-Bay used to be full of seals...part of the reason San Mateo named the new park (old dump) Seal Point. Not too long ago there were several regulars hanging out inside at Coyote. It's unusual to see one now.

mo
madspaniard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harbor seals are also seen at Berkeley Marina, I've seen three in the last two years. And sturgeons in the Delta.
tweeky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, if you look at the pics SWE106 posted, we get fish as big as that, even bigger, jumping right at you in the Gorge. My buddy had one jump at him, and then he ran into it and crashed, cutting himself. We tease him that the sturgeon is still out there, looking for him now that its tasted his blood! My wife also had one jump at her. She said it was bigger than her board.
victor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fisherman told me sturgeon jump out of the water to remove parasites. kinda tough operation without prehensile appendages. they've survived for a few million years so i guess it works.

he also told me when they're doing that they aren't eating.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweeky wrote:
Believe it or not, if you look at the pics SWE106 posted, we get fish as big as that, even bigger, jumping right at you in the Gorge. My buddy had one jump at him, and then he ran into it and crashed, cutting himself. We tease him that the sturgeon is still out there, looking for him now that its tasted his blood! My wife also had one jump at her. She said it was bigger than her board.

Similar thing here too!

Had a fingerling try to hitch a ride the other day at Palo Alto as I was returning from the Fremont side. I was cruising along and the ittle guy hopped up into my lap bounced across my front leg got logged between my back foot and the opposite side footstrap. That much have freaked him out cause he started flopping and then fell off. The whole time I'm like WTF? Of course he was no bigger than the flashing ad to the right here, but then again...what is?

J
pacspeed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arent some of the spines on a sturgeon venomous?
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's various harbor seal haul out sites along Mowry Slough, across the Bay from the Palo Alto launch. Just head for the big pile of salt on a high tide and pull out on the north side, opposite the sign. A couple of months ago there were more than 20 in and out of the water. There's usually a line of sentries in the water. I wouldn't get closer than a 100 yards or so though.

I saw a seal inside at Coyote about a month ago, when there was only about 18 inches of murky water.

Rod
tomg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Sturgeon can kill you Reply with quote

Think these are some funny "prehistoric" creature? Then check out this story from SF Gate news of the wierd. OK so this lady was hit by the fish in FL but! It Could Happen Here! Surprised

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/06/12/national/a041011D89.DTL&type=bondage
tfristoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Bound to be a sturgeon Reply with quote

While not at the stick, I was sailing at Sherman [access] and a sturgeon jumped within 10ft of me. First one that I have ever seen and looked just as you describe. The thing was huge [6-7 ft] and looked perhistoric.
peter.zarand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Seal, sturgeon in Berkeley and TI Reply with quote

I also saw seals in Berkeley 5 m from the Ashby beach, looking at the swimming dogs. Smile

At one other time I had a sturgeon jumping out next to me in TI. It was kind a freaky, as I did not have an idea at that time what it was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: