myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Feeling ill from the water?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minstigate wrote:

I'm amazed that so many people have this problem. Maybe it's the person and not the river.

Oh, and it's not the nose plugs Jim. It's the planing forwards when your over sixty. That's why I'll still give you some room.

Much like you and WMP, I have been playing in this radioactive playground for over 20 years and I have had exactly 0.0 adverse reactions!
But this past winter I got an ear infection from swimming in a heavily clorinated indoor pool.... go figure!
ascott72

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Try a Neti Pot Reply with quote

I get water up the nose too. I sail every sunday and my ear/nose/throat is all clogged up on mondays. A small sacrifice to pay.

I am working on getting into the habit of exhaling out my nose when I fall in. I am also going to start experimenting with a Neti Pot, which is basically a saline douche to clean out your sinuses. I have had some luck with that for other sinus issues. Google it.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Response to Isobars RE: Benedryl Reply with quote

seabrookuk wrote:
That is what the directions and contraindications are on the bottle for. Benadry IS completely Legal and safe when used as directed for the majority of folks.

The directions and contraindications on the Benadryl patient information sheet say what I said loud and clear, your doctor will warn you of same, and an alert Osshifer Pup will tell you the same as he's handcuffing you for DUI if he sees a Benadryl bottle on the console after pulling you over for erratic driving.

Don't take no MD to figger that out; staying at a Holiday Inn is close enough. Lecture over.

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updraft wrote:
Well, Isobars, What you missed was the simple point that when people find they are having allergic reactions and illness after contact with the river there is a good reason.

That point is not lost on me; I've fought it for decades. The further west I sail in the Columbia, the worse and faster I clog up. My MRIs given for other reasons showed sinus infection, and it went away very slowly over the non-Gorge season. I finally seem to have broken that cycle with nasal irrigation and not sailing at Clatskenie.

\m/
angus44

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars,

Nobody asked for or needed a lecture from you. Jesusjones was inquiring about methods of dealing with river allergies. I simply told him/her what I do & will continue to do because it works for me. What Jesusjones chooses to do is his/her business, in free countries people can make their own informed decisions about what they choose to put in their bodies for medical purposes. You are in no position to judge another persons driving/sailing ability when you don't know them & have zero understanding of the given circumstances. If you have information to provide in the future, you might consider giving to the person who is asking for it, I never asked for your opinion & the manner in which you presented it came off to me as fascist/judgemental in nature.
m00nd0ggie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: airborn Reply with quote

I haven't seen any mention of the particulate matter in the air when the wind is blowing 35 knots. do you think the air on the river is filtered?
Years ago -- am I the only one who remembers? Two doctors did a "study" and determined most of these issues are linked to airborne particulate matter.

so just stop breating while you sail and everything will be ok.

peace,
m00nd0ggie
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good diet helps.... try berries. Lots of berries along the river.... I think they are designed to be there for us. Do a google search on
"antioxidants in berries".... here's a start:

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/104/107640.htm.

Yep, berries are the crown jewel of all that is good for the body.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angus44 wrote:
I never asked for your opinion & the manner in which you presented it came off to me as fascist/judgemental in nature.

I offered you some medical and legal facts which may help you and fellow drivers in several ways, particularly in light of recent public acknowledgment that even a single Benadryl tablet's effects often linger beyond its nominal 8-hour target, sometimes throughout the whole next day. How you receive those facts and what you do with them is your choice, right up until you start your engine, when Benadryl use becomes a public safety issue by law and in reality. It's not you being judged, and it's not I doing the judging; it's Benadryl being judged, and the judges include the manufacturer, public and private drug and performance testing agencies, and black-robed people sitting behind benches.

I always thought Benadryl left me clear-headed, too, but that's a common, documented, incorrect, self-assessment of people on this and many other drugs. They feel sharp as a tack and swear they're driving just fine while driving worse than legal drunks by several measures.

\m/
alohannie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: icky water Reply with quote

I've never been sick from this water and have been sailing in it for 13 years. Don't mess with the Wind Gods. Remember, always sail straight-no drugs of any kind, booze, or pot.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: icky water Reply with quote

alohannie wrote:
I've never been sick from this water and have been sailing in it for 13 years.

Let me guess: you've never sailed at Clatskenie. That place gives me cranial diarrhea every time.

Of course, some people say that's chronic with me anyway. Wink

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: