myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oakland to Maui - ATA or Aloha?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote
Quote:
For the sake of those poor, unfortunate people who live on Stable Road

Did you see the ad on here for the ocean front 3mil property on Stable Rd?
Unfortunate maybe but certainly not poor!

The last time I flew an Aloha 737 from Oakland, it was a newer one
with the upturn winglet at the end of the wings. Maybe they use the old
ones for the inter-island flights.
(Steve also wrote)
[/quote]Those 60's vintage 737's that Aloha flies
Quote:
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Aloha cannot fly those old ones to the mainland because of the noise factor. They use the newer planes with quieter engines on their mainland flights because it's the law. The old noisy ones are only for interisland fights. Logic tells me that if you did fly Aloha more, then perhaps they could make enough money to upgrade their fleet. Or i guess conversely if you did not fly them, they might go out of business. But I doubt that since I believe both Aloha and Hawaiian are subsidised by the State of Hawaii. And I do not think there are any poor people living on Stable Road. Only wealthy haoles and of course us vacationing windsurf tourists. Being that I kiteboard and you cannot kite anywhere near the airport the noise seems like payback to being exiled to kite beach. The wind is better there anyway for kiting although the local homeless Hawaiians there have some pretty bad attitudes towards what they perceive as rich mainlander winsurf/kiteboarding haoles. Watch your valueables.
jse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:

Did you see the ad on here for the ocean front 3mil property on Stable Rd?
Unfortunate maybe but certainly not poor!

Carl, I suspect the house you are talking about is one that was right between where we stayed (Ray's Friendly Beach House) and the water. That place was way cool. Two houses, beautiful grounds, security fence, and no expense spared in it's construction, from the 50K security gate (all copper) to the 12K outdoor shower. Believe, me, if I had 3.5 mil to burn, that's where I'd do it.

Of course I was being sarcastic when I said "Poor, unfortunate". I used to bad-mouth those places as a place to stay because of the airport noise - We live in an extremely quiet location and it always seemed bizare that anyone could put up with that. But after a few days at Ray's I barely noticed it. You just pause if you're in conversation, or if you are watching the Daily show or Colbert, you need to have your remote handy and a TIVO.

Highly recommended.

Steve
JetBlast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Aloha and ATA fly next generation 737s: Very quiet, fully automated, and able to cruise a little higher than larger aircraft (Smoother ride above the clouds). ATA also has 757s. Aloha's flight attendants are fantastic. The pilots at Aloha and Hawaiian chalk up a great deal of experience in Maui's gusty winds. Aloha and Hawaiian were recently ranked 1&2 for on-time performance. Aloha had the fewest passenger complaints and Hawaiian was selected as the number 1 passenger choice in a recent travel survey.
Hope to have you on board. If I'm flying, you're sure to receive the surf report along with current weather 20 minutes prior to arrival. Also, while not all of us do so, I often check to ensure boards are loaded carefully as if they were my own. Enjoy your trip (along with our milk and cookies).
JetBlast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. Just read this morning's paper. Hawaiian and Aloha were rated best in the nation when it comes to treating passengers during delays. The study was conducted as a result of those people who were stuck onboard for hours. Honolulu Advertiser.

High surf advisory for south shores today. Trades 15-20 on Oahu. Home improvement will have to wait.
STEIN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not noise factor for the old 737's, it's range. Even the old 37's pass noise restrictions, but can't make 3,000 miles with reserves. Only the newer 737-400 long range versions will get you there.

All commercial aircraft have similar max altitudes, usaully 40-45,000 Ft
Except the concorde(60,000). And the business class aircraft Gulfstream 550 goes to 51,000 and can take all the boards and kites you can cram in.

Bill
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noise and range faa does have max noise reqmts at mainland airports
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: