myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
LOWER Outer Banks, Bouge Sound sites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikenickens

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: LOWER Outer Banks, Bouge Sound sites Reply with quote

My Family has us staying near indian beach on the lower outer banks over the 4th of July week. Any suggestions on windurfing sites??
snowy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always sailed around Avon, Its halfway down the island just north of the Hatteras Lighthouse..... usually there are good thermals in the afternoons, but ive only sailed there in the spring. Best winds are on a south west, So head north and see what you can find.

Good luck!
bigairhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe watch the wind and catch the Ferry out of Cedar Island early morning on up to Ocracoke for the day or all the way to Hatteras - sweet little day trip even if you don't sail.

http://www.ncdot.org/transit/ferry/routes/download/FerrySchedule.pdf

Last edited by bigairhead on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:57 am; edited 3 times in total
ipwalsh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's smoking crack!!! I live in Pine Knoll Shores and sail all the time. Have been out 3 of past 3 days. Email me back and we can hook up. I have a soundside and an oceanside launch spot.
It cracks me up seeing people only sail at the hatteras area when it smokes down here. All they have to do is pull the wind graph from Cape Lookout to see it's usually the same. Actually in the summer it usually blows more here due to the thermals created inland. In hateras, the sound is so big they don't get the mid-summer thermals as much as we get.

tky2k

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Sites near Indian Beach Reply with quote

Just look for the 'Cama' public access signs on either the sound or ocean side of the island. I had a great afternoon last Sunday sailing out of the 11th St. launch in Morehead City. Have also had a couple of good days from 4th & 6th (?) street launches in Pine Knoll Shores, or Salter Path. I'm not really sure where the boundary is. The sound shoals up pretty quickly in spots, so keep an eye on the water depth. Tried sailing off the beach from the Sheraton parking lot, but picked the wrong day... Offshore breeze & the high rises on the beach conspired to make a less than pleasant experience.
bigairhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipwalsh wrote:
He's smoking crack!!! I live in Pine Knoll Shores and sail all the time. Have been out 3 of past 3 days. Email me back and we can hook up. I have a soundside and an oceanside launch spot.
It cracks me up seeing people only sail at the hatteras area when it smokes down here. All they have to do is pull the wind graph from Cape Lookout to see it's usually the same. Actually in the summer it usually blows more here due to the thermals created inland. In hateras, the sound is so big they don't get the mid-summer thermals as much as we get.

Nice ," he's smoking crack " , how original and engaging. So I've watched the wind everyday since your statement. The Cape Lookout meter has shown wind the equivalent of the N.oBX. on days that just don't cut it for short board sailing. Anywhere south or east of there and the wind is not even close .

Now today with a good SW build Cape Lookout is lagging by 2-3 Knots of the best spots on Hatteras . Which is what I usually notice when checking and making my decisions on driving to sail. Most know 2-3 knots can make all the difference on a good short board sailing day .

[ Edit - 7-5-07 2 pm : Cape Lookout 16 G-20
Avon Sound 21 G 25
Windmill Point 26 G 31

This is the type of thing I usually witness checking the graphs . Usually the stronger winds are happening on the Northern Outer Banks.
Not to say there isn't good sailing to be had at Cape Lookout and going East or South , I don't think for a minute it's as regular or as strong as the Northern OBX has to offer.
Show us the data.
There are many more points to take advantage of on Hatteras and being willing to drive a little is key. ]

I and I'm sure others would really be interested in checking it out and some real info would be nice and appreciated . Like where to sail on Cape Lookout. and how to get to the other spots that you claim are as good as Hatteras.
ipwalsh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry didn't mean to offend the bigairhead but his first comment prior to my post (which he/she has since edited) was for Mr. Nickens to ditch his family and go 6hours to Hatteras since that is essentially "THE ONLY PLACE" to sail in NC and it only blows 10-15 here.

Believe me, I know how good Hatteras is. I lived in the Corolla area for 5 years and after that lived in Hatteras for 4mos a year for 4years. It does average the most wind year round hands down and has so many excellent sailing sites. I love Hatteras but, its not the only place to sail in NC.

Here in the Atlantic Beach area it can be awesome also. I'm on my 6th straight day of ocean sailing. Granted, I'm only 160lbs and was on a 114L "wave board" much of the time.
Info:
Wind data from Cape Lookout and a site in Pine Knoll Shores:
http://www.sobx.us/weather.html

Places to sail as above, any CAMA marked free parking site along the entire Island.
2 Inlets:
Beaufort Inlet on a SW with an outgoing tide can be phenomenal. Right side can have big standing waves. Center is about 60ft deep. So a lot of water moves through a narrow area. HOWEVER, boat traffic on a weekend in the summer can be a little dangerous but when it starts blowing they gets less. We go by boat to Shakleford banks and launch from there, used to be able to launch from Radio Island, but I think they might have closed it. Also could launch from Fort Macon.

Bogue Inlet is very shallow and can waterstart much of the way. Long (2miles) of waveriding. I prefer outgoing tide with a strong SW.

Harkers Island has great shallow sound sailing and a great spot to launch at the end of the Island.

Neuse River can be good also if you don't want to drive the extra 45min.
www.neuseweather.com

If your looking for someone to sail with around here, let me know.

bigairhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey IP , I didn't tell him to "ditch" his family nor did I say it was the only place to sail in NC , simply tried to give him some advice based on my somewhat local knowledge of the wind patterns that you slammed and now basically agree with . He's a big boy and if it is windy when he's at Indian Beach then he will sail there .

Now you sign on and give some actual useful info and substantiate what I had said in my post in the first place , thank you.

Seems you took it a little personal that your backyard was being maligned , truth is if it's windy in your backyard I wouldn't mind sailing there. Takes me 4 hours to Avon , if I could be on the water in 3 at Lookout I would try it , truth be told I've made a few trips to Atlantic Beach area over the years and got skunked but that was before Iwindsurf.
WetWoody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: SOBX sailing Reply with quote

Hey bigairhead, It's tough to get to sites East of Cape Lookout unless you're offshore or North of there as it sits on the southernmost tip of Core Banks. One of the best access points to that area is from the eastern end of Harker's Island @ the Ranger's Station/Shell Point. There's about a 2mi run across to Core Banks. The site is wide open to NEasters and is best on rising tides with that wind. I rarely go that far east unless it's really honking NE. Check link: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?cat=Shell%20Point&formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=&city=Harkers%20Island&state=NC&zipcode=&country=US&geodiff=1

Earlier mentioned is the Cedar Island/Ocracoke ferry site. Also good on N-NE winds. Swells pumping straight onshore with that wind. Never been there on NW but it might also be OK then. I understand that to the W of the ferry landing it's not quite as clear in the water along the shoreline though. Watch for old dock or net pilings.

There's a good site at the North River bridge, about 5mi east of Beaufort on hwy 70E, especially with S to SW winds. Mucky bottom and you might want some shoes to keep from getting cut on the shells. Best at high to fallilng tides. Back when Isabel came thru Dana Miller, Terry Murphy, myself and a couple of others were ripping along next to the bridge on a NE wind that overpowered my 4.1Windwing. We were matching pace with the cars on the bridge before I packed it in. AWESOME day! Parking at W side of NR bridge. Check Link: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=North+River+bridge&address=&city=Bettie&state=NC&zipcode=

From the east side of Radio Island(public access) is a good launch point to access Back Sound/Shackelford Banks and the Beaufort Inlet. Best conditions are falling tide and SW winds. There are places to park all along Bogue Banks to access the oceanside and soundside. Seems the one Windsurfing/Kayak shop gave up a while back. There are quite a few kiters down this way these days in comparison to windsurfers. While I understand the kite's advantages on lite days and in shallow water I still love the feel of a shortboard in the swell/chop when it's howling. Check link:http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=Radio+Island&address=&city=Beaufort&state=NC&zipcode=

For all the windy advantages of up-island sailing you can keep the summertime crowded roads and hordes of tourists. Maybe I'll see you in the Fall. Till then I'll stick to the Crystal Coast, thanks.
mestaban

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Bay River is another place to check out Reply with quote

Here's another place to sail - 1 hour drive form Atalantci Beach. Nice, peacful place:

http://bayriverwindsurfing.bravehost.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: