myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fat or skinny?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcameron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Fat or skinny? Reply with quote

Time to upgrade some masts and I'm wondering whether I should convert to skinny. Is this a fad or are fat masts going the way of the doddo bird?

I'm generally happy with my setup and would prefer not to have to upgrade extensions etc, if there isn't a huge advantage. I'm an average female sailor, weekend warrior (when it's windy) living in Vancouver BC.

Thanks ......
Lesley
p914

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your sails, Ask the mfg if they recommend a regular mast or skinny. Some sail luffs are designed to be structurally best with one or the other giving the proper support to the rest of the sail and it's elements with wind interaction.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Skinnys Reply with quote

Its worth it if you get a nice ones . You will have to upgrade your mast extension to though, adapters are a big hassel. Also you will have to use a shim for the boom unless you have one of the booms that will do both skinny and regualr diameter. They are springer and allow the sail to breath more also if you ever grab onto the mast its much easier to grap on to the smaller diameter. They do sink more than a standard size this can be and advantage in high winds if you get seperated from you gear it doesn't get as far away however its a little more work to clear the sail. I think regular size masts are on the way out.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet that by searching the archives of various windsurfing forums you'd find at least hundred, maybe 200, posts on this topic, for a far broader answer than you'll ever find in any one thread.

\m/
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the KISS principle here. No sense in changing from the sounds of your situation.

Coachg
lcameron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I LOVE the KISS principle!!

Isobar, thankyou for the direction to the recent thread. Not only did I learn quite a bit but I was laughing my @$$ off. The people interaction is just so great Smile

Thanks all, see ya!!

Lesley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: