myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote to 3rd Ave downwinder?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windbetty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre!!! Now I can put a name to the story...

I've been telling this story for 3 years. One day (during the week) I opened up the shack and all was quite. About 45 minutes later, this guy (wearing a camelback, helmet and full windsurfing gear) appears in front of me to ask me where he could find a water fountian. I pointed him in the right direction.

A few minutes later, the mystery man is sitting in one our our chairs. So, I inquired, "Have you been sailing for a while today?" He replied, "Yes, for about an hour." I responded, "Huh, that's strange because I didn't notice anyone on the water." He said, "I just sailed over from 3rd Ave." To which I asked (in astonishment), "Wow, how long did that take?!?" "Oh, about an hour." Unbelievable!

Anyway, Jane and I have been toying with doing our own Alameda to 3rd run, but it seems that rigging would be interesting given the vast difference in conditions.

Today was unreal in Alameda! It was so windy and I didn't bring my 63 liter board. I only had a 95 liter freeride/slolam '07 Naish board, which is silly fast. So, I pulled out a Hot Sails Kid's 3.2m Microfreak and put harness lines on it. I wasn't sure if I was going to break it but I ended up being completely powered on it. I couldn't believe it. It was like sailing a napkin. It's the lightest thing I've ever been on. The mast is a 310 and the boom is a junior boom. I think the whole rig maybe weighed 11 lbs soaking wet. What a blast!
Jrobb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do something like that.

I usually take long reaches to break up the monotony of out turn, in turn, etc. To date, the longest single runs I've managed were at PaloAlto launch to the other side only about 3.5nm and from Lordships to Brooks and back.

J
markpaine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, for the longest time I've considered the thought of riding a flood from Crissy down to 3rd. Heh, yesterday would've been the perfect day for it--no worries about dead zones, that's for sure. You and I know a guy that would do it with us in a heartbeat I'm sure ("First, Last, And Always" Deven). Wink

I'll second Mo's recollection about ASD's scheduled downwinders. They didn't seem to be well attended. I imagine an argument could be made that there might not be enough interest in an *ongoing* event, but I'm sure there could be enough interest in a one-time event. I was always interested in the ASD downwinders, but back when they were doing it I never quite knew, or remembered, which day it was going to happen and whether it would be cancelled if the wind didn't show. In other words, having a downwinder mailing/phone contact list, web site, or dial-in number would probably be a good start simply for making any last minute go/no-go decisions.

-Mark
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could use the iW Forum (right here where we are now). Just would need someone really motivated to lead/setup the thing.
windwiner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all pretty funny. I had the pleassure of meeting Andrea just the other day (it was actually the same day that George mentioned him in this thread) anyway he approached me as I was getting out of the water at Coyote on Tuesday after getting my ass kicked because I didnt bring my small gear and went out on a 113 litre board and a 4.7m while the wind was gusting 35+ (always take all of your gear no matter what the forecast says) so he told me the whole story of being rescued in the middle of the bay in the middle of the night. What a crazy story. Anyway my whole point of posting this idea was to get the community together to have a fun sailing event. I know people have done it, do it all the time and it is not a "big thang" as n8rhindoc pointed out (by the way when I used to live in Hawaii we did downwinders from Backyards to Mokuliea every couple of months now that is a downwinder). So where do we go from here? There seems to be enough interest to make a tentative date to "get together" and have a pack of sailors go ripping out into the Channel and head downwind to 3rd Ave. Anyone who would be interested in doing it on a Sat or Sun in the last week of June or first two weeks of July let me know and I will try to figure out a day that will work (even a Thurs or Fri evening might work). If you had your choice would you rather do it on a flood or an ebb? When they did the ASD thursday nights did everyone sail back up wind or did someone leave a car at third before you went out? I dont think we really need to organize much more than the date to do it and how to get back to Coyote. All thoughts and ideas are welcome.
markpaine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in something slightly more substantial than Coyote to 3rd, like say, Candlestick to 3rd for starters, or Crissy to 3rd if we're feeling really adventurous. I'll be busy teaching up at Rio the last 2 weekends of June so I'd opt for Saturday, July 7th (though I haven't checked tides yet).

In terms of safety, I think Coyote to 3rd is pretty trivial, but if we do something longer, then following George's recommendation to keep it small, I'd make a compromise and argue that it would be wise to use a 3 or 4 person buddy system, stick with your group, and make sure everybody's got water available via Camelback at the very least, tow rope, etc.

Logistics also get a lot more interesting the longer the route. Unless there's a panel van to cart everybody and their gear around then we've also gotta think about a buddy system for transportation, making sure that everybody and their gear have a ride.

I'd be happy to slap together a simple site for people to express interest and indicate preferences/capabilities like...
- name
- email
- phone
- preferred entry site
- preferred exit site
- carrying capacity to the entry site (i.e., can you carry others and their gear?)
- carrying capacity from the exit site (ditto)
- got a radio?
...and then have an event page proposing a date, time, entry site, exit site and let people sign up.

Yeah, I know it sounds like overkill but otherwise this forum's gonna have a confusing mess of messages going back and forth and stuff's gonna fall through the cracks. and it would also create momentum, hopefully, for future events. I could have a rudimentary site up by tomorrow morning.

-Mark
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markpaine wrote:
I could have a rudimentary site up by tomorrow morning.

-Mark

If you skip sailing today, you could have it done by this afternoon. Laughing

mo
(ducking and covering)
markpaine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. It's almost finished, but I've already got a call into Kev's voicemail threatening to stalk him today. Wink
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markpaine wrote:
I know. It's almost finished, but...

Excuses, excuses

Rolling Eyes
catapult

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wait for the right wind direction you can sail from 3rd to coyote in 1 reach. I've done it. I didn't go all the way to the beach at coyote because it was dead inside. I guess the wind was SSW that day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: