myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oakland to Maui - ATA or Aloha?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tajella

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Oakland to Maui - ATA or Aloha? Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the ATA flight from Oakland to Maui? I have only flown on Aloha in the past, but ATA has some great rates and I thought I would give them a try.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks.
gsnell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I flew OAK to Maui several times and it was very pleasant, no delays and no problems
gry1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: ATA Reply with quote

I have used ATA for over five years. No problems/no complaints.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have flown both mutiple times.
Both have great service and better than most as for "on-time".
The only diff is ATA has bigger planes 757 vs Aloha's 737,
if you're carrying equip, bigger plane is better.
jonboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Maui ata or aloha. Reply with quote

I just went over and back on ATA and it was ok. The stu's were a little bit grumpy both ways. I think Aloha is friendlier, especially inter-island flights.
THey seem like a happier group of folk. But the service was the same for both, no problems.
tajella

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATA is a charter plane an as such stuffs as many seats into their planes as they can. Last time i flew them we had seats in front of a exit isle such that they did not recline where as the seats in front of us did so we were really squeezed in there. The plane was new and had leather seats but no leg room, very unconfortable on a 5 hr flight. I would not go with them again. Aloha I beleive has more leg room. You get what you pay for. If you bargain hunt the internet you probably will get close to the same price on delta, united, or american and not have numb legs. Try airtohawaii.com
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ATA is a charter plane an as such stuffs as many seats into their planes as they can.

Not true any more, and I fly on ATA often. ATA is a regular airline and you can book direct with ATA (now owned by Southwest). They also still do charters for Pleasant Holidays and use the same planes as the regular flights.
I find the legroom is the same as United or Aloha, I've flown all 3 multiple times. In
the early days of ATA (about 10-12 years ago) when they chartered for Suntrips, they filled the 1st class section with economy seats and had short legroom in that section. But now they have 1st class seats.

Quote:
Last time i flew them we had seats in front of a exit isle such that they did not recline where as the seats in front of us did so we were really squeezed in there.

The "non-reclining seat" is there on ALL airlines, I got stuck with one on
a United flight. Those seats are over the wing next to the exit door. It has nothing to do with "what you pay for", it is what seat you select (or are given).
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the last time I flew them was 2 years ago so maybe they have changed. I fly united or delta now and they indeed have the no recline on the seats in front of the exit but they also change the spacing to give you more room in those isles. Ata's spacing and the no recline was the double wammy. And tanted me for life I guess. Also united, delta and american have economy plus type seating in half of the economy sections up front so you definitely get more room over the average economy section in the "old" ATA. If your a big guy you will be way more confortable, beleive me. I have internet searched ata, united, american, delta, aloha, etc and the pricing is not that much better for ata and sometimes worse. Of course it varies daily for no aparent reason. And if the plane breaks down at least the big carriers can switch out planes sooner because they got more of them. heh if ata's price is $400 and united through a consolidator like airtohawaii.com is $430 I'm going united. Also checking in at the curb and paying the porter a good tip ( over $10) will save you waiting in line. I kite and bring my gear in a "golf type" bag and rarely get nicked for extra weight size, etc even though the "golf bag" is over the 62" rule. Go to the counter and they will charge you every time $100 plus. plus golf bags come off first before the normal luggage as opposed to ""board bags" which come off last and are over somewhere in the oversized bin. They treat you like your rich or something as opposed to a surfbum. I like to be comfortable when I am stuffed into a germ tube. I travel to maui alot on biz ( i know it's a bummer). My nephew will go for the cheapest airfair he can, even if you have some lame early morning takeoff, 2 changes of planes, end up in ireland when you really want to be in paris. To each his own i guess.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of those poor, unfortunate people who live on Stable Road, fly ATA. Those 60's vintage 737's that Aloha flies are noiser than a 747 taking off. Seems like every other plane is one of them.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: