myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Colorado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luk4wind

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Colorado Reply with quote

I have to move to Colorado near ASpen for a couple years. Is it worth taking my windsurfing gear? I am used to sailing short boards on the west coast and Maui. I heard people windsurf there, but what type of gear is needed?
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys might be able to help you.

www.rmwa.org/
matthepp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Around Aspen Reply with quote

Hopefully the scenery will make up for the flukey winds. I used to live in Aspen a few years ago as a beginning windsurfer. Ruedi Reservoir up the FryingPan from Basalt usually has a few diehards out there trying to catch afternoon frontals coming up valley. Cold! Harvey Gap is a better spring and fall option, but you'll still frequently get skunked.
I wouldn't even consider a small board and rig with the winds so variable, leave it at home. The best wind on this side of the state is probably Blue Mesa Reservoir near Gunnison.
God luck!
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How consistant is the wind at Blue Mesa?
amigadog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: colorado windsurfing near Aspen Reply with quote

Windsurfing community used to be bigger in the 80's. I was there then, learned there on stock windsurfer at Harvey Gap. I think a formula type board would be good for 90% of the time. A 90 or 100 liter board for the few days of higher wind. I was only at Blue Mesa once, it was good. Remember the altitude there, the air is thinner and not as powerful, I would think you would need at least a half size bigger, maybe a full meter??? Good Luck
seanf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of those die-hards that occasionally sails at Reudi Rez. which is the closest place to sail from Aspen. I live in Denver but sometimes go camping there and meet some friends from Glenwood Springs. It usually is not very good but sometimes it can be OK.

The reaches are very short because it is only about 1/4 mile across the lake. The best launch on Reudi is called Freeman Mesa. It is about 1/2 way up the lake. It is a grassy area with some picnic tables and a crapper. As the water level gets lower laterthe year the launch turns to red stickey mud. It is a "day use" area that costs $8.00 / day which keeps most of the rif-raf out. You can buy a season pass at the boat ramp for something like $25. The water is pretty "warm" right now. Maybe in the high 60's or even low 70's.

I have never used a small board there. The smallest sail I have ever used at Reudi is a 6.0m

Typical Colorado gear is 130 liter board with an 8+ meter sail and a mountain bike in case the wind doesn't blow.

One thing to consider. At 8000 ft in altitude, the air is something like 25% less dense. That means you will need a 25% bigger sail for the same wind speed at sea level. You need a floater board unless you like to swim. Also, fresh water provides 10% less flotation then sea water.

In general Windsurfing is not very good in Colorado, but it sure beats sitting on the couch watching TV!

The RMWA is a very active good club with a lot of activities which are moslty around the Front range lakes (Denver area).

If you are around over the Labor Day weekend, there is a good chance I'll be there with some other windsurfing friends. You might just want to come by.

Good Luck,

Sean
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far ya willing to drive for a fix? NM blows like hell, with two spots worthy of a few hours' drive in the spring. Conchas Lake NW of Tucumcari (east central plains) and Morgan Lake near Farmington (NW corner) will blow that Maui board off the water some spring days, and power it up just fine many more days. We thought nothing of driving to them (~180 miles from Albuquerque) for an afternoon blow, and both provide good free camping. We often got skunked in one-day trips, but when we caught 'em right, we often got 10 hours on 3.x and 4.x sails with swell up to 6 feet (normally 2-4 feet). Conchas often blows 5.x for days in the spring and early summer.

Check out http://www.nmwindsurfing.org/ for details.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: