myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Car camping, Hood River
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glencorthy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Car camping, Hood River Reply with quote

Confused Where are all you RV dudes gonna be camping now? Is the pit closed for good? Will the streets of Hood River be littered with RV's? (Heard no more Walmart parking at night).
Temira

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: walmart parking Reply with quote

Where did you hear that about Wal-Mart? It's a company policy to allow RV's to park in Wal-Mart parking lots. Good for business, you know.

At one point years ago, Hood River passed an ordinance making it illegal to sleep in a car within the city. However, I believe that is not enforceable at Wal-Mart, as it's private property. Anyway, still valid or not, people have been parking at Wal-Mart already this year.

As for the pit... well, try not to invite a ton of RV's up there, or it will be closed for good, and the car-campers won't have anywhere to go.

=)
katosandog

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody know anything about Tucker Park taking a lot of damage in the floods last fall?
glencorthy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re:Tucker Reply with quote

We were at Tuckers last weekend, and the banks looked normal. Wasn't going down there to check, though!

Don't know if RV's are better or worse in pit. Remember last summer? There was California girl in her green truck with cute dog, BC girl doing her stretches on a little mat, whoa., um, the guy in the little red icecream truck that seems to be their 'leader' (i.e. like in Road Warrior). But maybe that was the problem. Some people spilling their gear out all over the place, instead of keeping it on the roof (spilling gear out of a van? Jeez!). The HR trophy wives would jog up in the morning, and well-to-do-not-working-today-grey men would bike up, and they were visibly agitated. I would hear a nasally 'they're not caaamping are they?', and they always coughed and talked/laughed loudly to wake us up.

The deciding factor probably came in November when local youths began terrorizing the lot and breaking open coin-boxes.

Locals always seem to ruin it and blame the tourists, don't they?
garygsmith

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: WalMart Reply with quote

Yes WalMart is kicking people out most nights. New Manager working with the campgrounds.
katosandog

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glencorthy:

Did you notice if the power was hooked up at Tucker RV sites again? The county got busy and tore it all out last year and never got around to hooking it up again.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: WalMart Reply with quote

garygsmith wrote:
Yes WalMart is kicking people out most nights. New Manager working with the campgrounds.

Then I'll stop sleeping -- and shopping -- there. If they want to keep us out for security or behavior or sanitation reasons, or just 'cause they wanna, that's fine; it's their proppity. But if it's collusion with campgrounds, they can both go to hell. I hate campgrounds; have used them about three times out of the last 2000 or so times I slept outdoors (which, coincidentally, paid for my new RV).

\m/
blowhardezzy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: The Pit Is Closed! Reply with quote

The Pit is officially off limits now. Apparently it became a liability issue for the road contruction company that owned it. They have bulldozed large piles and placed cemet pilings to keep people out. If you do get in you can count on the Sheriff kicking you out during the night.

Walmart has a sign stating no overnight parking. As per the previous post, apparently they are starting to enforce it now. Last year they didn't.

Not sure where I'm going to hang this summer. Sad

S
pacspeed

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just pick a fire road, drive up it a mile or two until youre hidden in the trees, and drop anchor?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacspeed wrote:
why not just pick a fire road, drive up it a mile or two until youre hidden in the trees, and drop anchor?

Lotsa reasons, including . . .

Views, night and day.

Ever-increasing barricades.

Breeze. 70 degrees (let alone 90) is too hot to sleep; a breeze helps.

Sailing conditions observation. I camp in the Corridor primarily for dawn patrol, and unless I want to set an alarm, wake up enough to check the wind reports, I want to be able to just listen to or glance at the trees or the whitecaps to see what's going on.

Sleeping at a sailing site near my rigged gear.

Having a well-equipped mega-store at my doorstep in case I suddenly need another tee shirt.

TV and/or cell phone reception.

Dust/traffic, on some roads.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: