myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
dewey beach delaware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsimon1

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: dewey beach delaware Reply with quote

Has anybody sailed at the bayside at Dewey? I am curious how shallow the water is. I don't want to break my 52 cm fin. Thanks.
FunHog

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Dewey- water depth Reply with quote

How deep is Rehoboth Bay? Boy, that depends on wind direction, tide, and where you sail.

Typically the Bay is shallow in the eastern portion and deeper in the western portion, with a channel cut for boat traffic bisecting the bay from Dewey in the northeastern part to Massey's Landing in the southwestern part. The shallow part can be just a few inches deep for a long way, the deep parts are about 10 to 12 feet.

Two inlets feed the bay, tidal influence can be large. In nor'easters the whole bay floods deep. In long duration high wind westerlies the water can be completely blown out in the eastern portion leaving dry sand.

The eastern shoreline, where the launch sites are, are replete with sandbars. You better know the place really really well before blasting on a fin that size (52cm)!!!

If you sail in the summer (southerlies) and launch from New Road you are going to walk a ways before the water is deep enough for your fin, but once out there you can sail in the western portion no problem. Just look for where the Hobie Cats and Prindles are. Summer time thermals develop first and strongest to the south- southwestern parts of the bay anyway which tends to put you in thigh deep to overhead water. Launching from Tower Rd. gets you closer to the boat channel coming out of the marinas in Dewey quicker and is probably your better choice in the summer for big sail/big fin equipment.

I get by with 22 to 26 cm fins on a 80l and 90l bump and jump just fine, saves some worry about ripping out a finbox.

HAve fun !!

clubfiesta

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water is fairly shallow (ie 3 feet deep) within a few hundred yards of shore, but is just fine beyond that. Its a very popular spot and I've never had any trouble with fins there. OBX is more shallow than dewey.
wolfe

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: dewey beach delaware Reply with quote

jsimon1 wrote:
Has anybody sailed at the bayside at Dewey? I am curious how shallow the water is. I don't want to break my 52 cm fin. Thanks.

I sail the Bay from New Road often. I prefer New Road to Tower Road launch points, because more people are there and the beach is marginally wider.

The Bay is very shallow, generally speaking. Follow tidal patterns and you will have a better time on the water if you run long fins.

Dewey is great for learning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: