myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Renting Gear in Maui
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillMangan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was joking around there, basically i mean that it's sometimes hard to believe when you go to the same beach everyday and you see the same 4.0 - 4.7 wind for 3 months nonstop.

Derek
dabull1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the proper term would be SWEET!!!!!!Bull
ringe

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Neil Pryde Reply with quote

I recommend Neil Pryde Maui - I've tried most of the shops over the last 10 years and NP Maui is my favorite. Idea
rheifetz

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: maui in January Reply with quote

The least predictable months are Dec, Jan and Feb. You may get some wind or you may be skunked. May thru Sept are the best. Anytime on Maui is great.
johnb

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Just had a bad experience with NP maui Reply with quote

We had a brand new mast snap way off shore on the south side during a jibe. Offshore winds, ripped the sail pretty badly as well. Instead of trying to rescue the rig, we played it safe, ditched it, and towed back in. It was rigged properly, must have been defective. NP maui charged 20% off retail for the whole rig... despite the fact that our group of 9 people rented full windsurfing and surf gear from them.

Many of us have rented from them multiple times without a problem. You'd think charging wholesale on it, or even not charging for a portion would have been pretty acceptable based on the thousands of dollars spent renting, and the likelihood of the mast causing the whole situation.

Suffice it to say we won't likely be renting there again. In addition - there surf gear is terrible - try Hawaiian Island, Hi-tech, or Second Wind. Always great luck with them.
micha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: I recommend Neil Pryde and Hi-Tech Reply with quote

First off, renting is great on Maui, a great way to try out several boards and find one you like. Any shop has a lot of gear usually and you might want to go with the one that have boards / sail combination you like. If you don't know yet, try several for a day and then settle for a shop for the stay.

I've always had great experience with Hi-Tech and Neil Pryde. Lately I found Hawaiian Island too "mellow". They didn't even care when I showed them one of the rental boards I was interested in which was standing on its fin so long the fin was bent. Also, their travel section is horrible, I got promised gear and found out the guy never even tried, they charged me a registration fee which was really odd and they again don't seem to care about their customers probably because they think they are all tourists. Too much Maui attitude for me. The other guys at Neil Pryde and Hi-Tech are always fresh and helpful and great to work with.
dabull1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Micha, the guys at H.I.S.S. didn't pee in your Cheerios on purpose!!! I've rented from H.I.S.S. for the past seven years and the entire crew have been a joy to deal with. I've found the gear to be in great condition, worn and outdated stuff goes out the door cheap either on ebay or during the Maui w/s sale weekend, usually around the 1st of July. Last year I wasted a Chinook Carbon boom in Kihei, and the guys bent over backwards to find loose parts to rebuild the boom and cost me only a tailpiece, not bad 'cause other shops would've laid me away with the cost of a new boom. Essentially, I've had good experiences with H.I.S.S and reccomend them to all my friends. Just tell 'em Koa's Godfather sent you!!! ALOHA, Bull
sergem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all these rental places, do you get a rack with the rental or do you ask for a rack from car rental company? Thanks!
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergem,
All the boardshops have racks to put on your rental car.
Don't ask the car rental co, they probably don't even know anyway.

An easier (and maybe cheeper) way is to rent a windsurf van from: www.mauivans.com
Then you don't have to haul the equip into your room every night. Just keep it inside the van all week.
goinoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting Gear in Maui Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
Can anyone offer advice for rentals on Maui? I wanna sail at Kanaha

I always got good deals at Hawaiian Island Surf and Sport which is next
to Kanaha and the airport. I always take two sails in a cardboard container with me because most places give you two sails. With four sails you can cover almost any type of wind condition.

Have Fun!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: