myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why no wind forcast for Kanaha?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
argusbud

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Why no wind forcast for Kanaha? Reply with quote

Kanaha is arguably a premier international sailing site and Iwindsurf has no forecast, other than model data! I've traveled from the Gorge these two weeks to enjoy Maui's warm water and wonderful sailing, but I get no forcast from my favorite windsurf site. What's up?
Gary PDX
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maui is different than the other spots. we go every year in July, the windiest months are July and August. When on island it is pretty obvious what is going on. there are many sources for both wave and wind reports. On island there are only 2 places to go Kanaha/Sprecks/hookipa and Kihei. only rarely do other winds (kona) set up in the winter. The 2 places are twenty minutes apart and anyone there can explain what is likely happening at both. Because the SF bay and Gorge have a wide area that might 'Go Off' on any given day and driving distances are much greater; forecasts are very helpful-however I look at a lot of things when considering where to go. also the sailing is so totally different at the different spots; ie Chrissy, 3rd, Rio and Waddel are all totally different and are influenced very much by different and esp local factors. We used to exchange pagers for the maui pager when we got there, but it really wasn't all that necessary. however bringing a laptop and watching the sites and reviewing the trends is a definete must.
dabull1

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standing forecast for Kanaha April thru September.... WIND!!! I've sailed there the last seven June/ July slots and at 200 lbs, my average sail is a 5.2 fully torqued!!! IT AIN'T STINKIN' LA WIND.. jealous.. YES!!!! Bull
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to mauiweathertoday.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Kanaha Reply with quote

Ill give it to you :20-30 all day RIG UP!
jazzglick

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out windguru. Shocked
Chasinthewind

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Kanaha Reply with quote

I agree that a wind report would be helpful. I understand there is little distance between sailing sites but what if you wanted to do something else on the island if there was going to be a low wind day, (which we've seen the last couple of days not to mention a week and a half ago!). A wind report would help you plan your time on Maui. CTW
actionsportsmaui

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Maui Wind Forecast Reply with quote

Never bet against the wind on Maui.
Even if the weatherman says that there will be no wind, don't believe it.
You can get the forecast from iwindsurf, but it does not reflect the true wind at the beaches. There are microclimatic and localized wind effects that factor into the wind on Maui. The valley gets a thermal effect that primes the pump as the sun heats the land, which then turns the easterly flow more onshore (northshore side), then the venturi effect between the volcanoes funnells and accellerates the wind to higher than forecasted speeds. The geography of Maui makes it a natural wind tunnel that turns a feable wind into a strong ridable wind. So when the forecast says light wind, and you take the day off to drive to Hana, chances are that the trades will kick in anyway, and you will miss another great day's sailing.
Aloha,
David Dorn
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I usually try to post my Maui weather forecast on my website, www.mauiwindsurfing.net. Wind forecast today is pretty light, but like David Dorn said, this time of year you can't completely rule out wind. Best shot today is probably light air cruising in Kihei. If you're looking for a real quick rough idea weather model, do what Jazz said and check out www.WindGuru.cz The numbers are usually a bit lower than actual, but it gives you a decent idea of the wind trend.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

above discussion is correct; Never rule out the wind on maui! I've sailed a 4.5 on a no wind day and I'm 225lbs. Also don't drive to Hana. Takes all day and not worth it-trust me on this cause I've never done it! Instead drive a little ways on other side of Haiku and park where all the cars are and hike into the two waterfalls. then go home and get to Kanaha on time. Your wife and kids will enjoy it and you won't miss a thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: