myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Does anyone sail Oyster Point?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whinston

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Does anyone sail Oyster Point? Reply with quote

I recently returned to the Bay after several years away and was pleased to see the installation of a windsurfing launch ramp at Oyster Point. I used to sail there from time to time and would always see several others there as well. I would have thought that the launch ramp (and grassy rigging area) would have made it more popular, but I never see anyone there. Why has this site declined in popularity? Have the conditions there worsened? Was it never very good to begin with? Is something else afoot?
carl

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back,
Genentech built a bunch of big buildings on the bluff which created
a bigger wind shadow while getting over to the big sailing bay next to the airport. The small bay right at the the O.Pt. launch is too small and gusty for most, except if you're into short freestyle moves.
It is still excellent when the wind is from the south though.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Oysters has its merrits. Reply with quote

I sail there after work at times. Its the windiest spot ever.
Keep in mind the real action occurs on the "other side" of the Genentech Cafeteria. The Cafe- causes a huge wind shadow and you must sail downwind of this to get to open waters. Once downwind far enough and in the clean nukin air, aim for the white fuel storage tanks to adjust your heading. If the wind dies there are several beaches of impressive beauty that you can pull into. You will have to jump fences to get back to your car.

Your ass is already in a sling sailing here. Do frequent wind checks. See what the wind is doing. If it even starts to get a bit holey start heading down wind and back through the wind shadow. Pinch as hard as possible keep in mind the wind in the channel area is still cranking once past the wind shadow. I cannot tell you how many close call I have had here. Sailing here can get intense so dont go it alone!!!! A breakdown during a strong tide will cost you dearly. Rig bigger than you need and use a floatier board.
bert

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailed there a week ago. Oyster is tricky on anything smaller than a 90 liter board. Uphauling and having your tacks down are essential, especially on an ebb tide when coming back to the launch.

Cool bert
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sail there from time to time. however i mostly go there on a wsw wind so I can sail the flat water in the inside cove, although i have sailed out near the airport too. i really like this place when it's going.

kev
chand2

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Oyster Point Reply with quote

They built the bay trail at Haskins now so its paved up to the launch point behind the recycling plant. At some point, the bay trail will go all the way around Genentech down to Costco along the water. You wont have to jump fences to get back to Oyster. You can just use the bay trail.
melpel

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailing near the airport is nice alte season when they get just a little more wind than Coyote and 3rd and are therefore still sailable. Otherwise if it is blowing at these other site... why drive up there. there is a significant wind shadow to deal with.

Related Topic - I heard the other day that they build a rap down from the Genetec point so it is no longer a life threatening rock-hop! There is nice rigging there, and much less of a wind shadow to deal with (than oyster). Have not sailed it since the ramp, but think this will be a nice upgrade/launch when the winds favor this area...
carl

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melpel,
I hear the new ramp is over by the recycling center, kinda between
Genentech Park and Haskins St. It sounds better than either of those,
cause it puts you right into the wind. I'll check it out.
julianstokes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely used to be more fun before the new Genentech buildings...very patchy between the point and the clear towards the airport/tanks, which it is such as shame as the water is about as flat as you get for the bay area.

It also has a nice slip for access and amenities such as bathrooms and a shop in the marina.

Was there two/three weeks ago and it shut down, was on a 105lt with a 5,3..(nice people from the Harbor police came and towed me back in, was only 100yds from the shore but was better than swimming). always rig one size bigger than you would elsewhere...so you can pump through the holes past Genentech. Once you do it is fun and possibly less exposed/gusty than Candlestick, but it can be hard work to get back to the launch.
SPQR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have to watch the fog in the gap to the west. If it comes in too far you are screwed. Years ago we used to do downwinders down to the San mateo Bridge from there. Great place to work on gibes and do speed runs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: