myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
womens windsurfing harness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ka72

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: womens windsurfing harness Reply with quote

Was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good waist or seat harness for women. I do both flat water and some wavesailing and currently use a prolimits waist harness. I find it is quite comfortable, but does ride up a bit doesnt seem so good on flat water.(get some backache with it) Would I be better off with two harnesses? one for flat water and one for the waves?
thanks in advance

Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I used a NP Anatomic, which is similar to the Dakine XT. It had good back support and fit a little higher than most seat harnesses. When it finally failed, Derek at Delta Windsurf talked me into a Dakine Fusion, which was marketed as a windsurf/kitesurf harness. It has the powerbelt like a waist harness but has leg straps as well, so it doesn't ride up. I've been quite happy with it, and I have some back problems myself. Of course these things change every year, but the Dakine website does show a current version of the Fusion plus a girls (their word not mine) version called the Tempest. The only problem I see is that the grab handle doesn't unhook the way it does on my older version (watch your back.)

Dennis
peacock1

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Womens Waist/Seat Harness Reply with quote

Just saw a message about Womens waist/seat windsurfing harnesses.

I just changed to a new Dakine Thermo Form waist harness..No specific reason, just decided to change. In recent years I have used the Dakine Nexus (lepord skin design cover)... This was a harness especially designed for women, since our rib cage is sometimes a bit closer to the waist than most mens.... When I talked to Kevin at the Dakine shop in Hood River, he indicated they redesigned the Nexus a few years ago to overcome this problem.... I did notice an improved fit..... On the other issue of straps versus no leg straps, I have found that I experienced a lot more back pressure with leg (crotch) straps, and my back really suffered more strain than what I wanted. In particular with leg straps there is more pressure on the Soas muscle, which is located directly under the pathway of the leg strap..... Once I went to a waist harness, I noticed fewer back problems.
The new T-3 Dakine (I used it as a demo last week) is a fine waist harness as well.... It is a very firm fit and I think will get a lot of attention from women. It does not cut into the rib cage.
My sugggestion would be to stick with a waist harness (unless you are going into kiteboarding) . You windsurfing technique will improve and once you get familar with the "feel" of the waist harness you will not want to use seat style.
These are my personal opinions, but the ideas may assist in your decision.

Ann
Temira

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Women's harnesses Reply with quote

After whining about bad harnesses for years, I picked up a Da Kine T3 a few weeks ago. It's fantastic, and I'm not one to say that unless I mean it. All my previous harnesses were too tall (women have shorter torsos than men, and companies don't seem to realize this), and cut into my shoulder blades or bum. The T3 doesn't.

It doesn't ride up like all my previous harnesses. Plus, I have a torn back muscle, and the T3 not only makes sailing possible, it makes sailing pain-free.

The T3 does run pretty large - I have a 31 inch waist, and use a small. But if it fits you, give it a shot.

For what it's worth, I'm a high-wind freestyler and wavesailor...
susannah

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Waist vs. Seat Harness for Women Reply with quote

I used a DaKine Speed Seat harness until it wore out. At the suggestion of a friend, I replaced it a few weeks ago with a DaKine Nexus waist harness. I was a bit skeptical at first as I have always had lower back problems and thought the seat harness was the best bet for that. But my friend pointed out that a waist harness is like wearing a belt that body-builders use to protect their lower back.

I am happy to say that I NOW LOVE IT! I hook in and lean back and everything just feels so comfortable. And I have not had any back pain at all since using it. It did take a few sessions to get used to, but my stance is improved, and I think my sailing has too. Also, I love not having the leg straps to contend with (no more cutting into the thighs and less work to put on and take off).

BTW, I got the generic/men's Nexus and though it might be a tad high under my ribs, if you lean back against it, instead of down (like I did with my seat harness), it never rides up, in either my flat-water and bump-and jump sailing.
ka72

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your detailed suggestions. I will most likely stick with the waist harness and look at the dakine ones again. I agree that if the waist harness has extra padding and a lumar insert it does seem to give better back support than a seat harness, I also love the freedom of not having the leg straps. I have got bruises on my hips and thighs in the past from wearing mens seat harness and could never find one that fitted properly. So I will continue to try out some more waist harnesses.
ta
Kellie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: