myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Point Isabel cable cut?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Point Isabel cable cut? Reply with quote

I guess I missed a good day at the dog park yesterday...how much longer untill its fixed? How about cutting the cable on these goldang seizure inducing flashing ads? This IS a pay site.
jse

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure did. Check out what I did. We need that sensor, PI is enough of a crapshoot as it is, worse without a sensor to go by. There were all of 5 sailors yesterday, and it blew 5.0 for 3 hours.

Steve

PI 05-14-07.jpg
 Description:
Sail track from GPS on 5/14/2007 at Pt. Isabel
 Filesize:  173.13 KB
 Viewed:  22549 Time(s)

PI 05-14-07.jpg

Jrobb

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT. Isabel is getting an upgrade. The sensor is down during this time. That's what the Forcast page says at least.

J
jmakers

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: flashing ads Reply with quote

Quote:
How about cutting the cable on these goldang seizure inducing flashing ads? This IS a pay site.

I 2nd that motion. And you can tell the folks who design those flashing ads: the more they flash, the more I work to avoid them. If that means viewing NOAA or NWS sites instead, so it is. Viewing iwindsurf less, yeah. Avoiding those vendors, definitely. A good ad doesn't have to grab me by the throat and slap me in the face -- a gentle draw with *good* graphics will work better.
blake64

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The banner ads are cool with me. I just purchased a new quiver of Hot Sails, and they're the best sails I've ever had. Without the banner ad, I would've never thought to try them.

blake Smile
WindDoll

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Point Isabel Reply with quote

The iWindsurf people told me that the water treatment plant took down our sensor because they were reconfiguring the pole to which it was attached. I thought I'd cruise down and see if I see any construction!

jRobb I LOVE your "give a damn" grafic. Rolling Eyes

jse Thanks for your gps map. I didn't realize "west" there is so "north." I missed that Monday, too, and I thought it would be good; went to Berkeley instead and had an OK day.
mwilly

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jse,
How'd you superimpose your GPS trace on the map like that? Very cool. What's the scale on that map? (i.e. what was your avg reach distance?)
jse

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindDoll, Not sure what you mean by west being north. The only reason I went to PI is that somebody called me from there and told me to come. I was about to go to Berkeley. These days, when I go to Berkeley because it's windy there I usually have a look at Pt. Isabel since it's on the way and I prefer sailing there.

MWilly, I use a couple of programs. One is called Chart Navigator. You can get a free version at their website at www.maptech.com. Then you need to find the charts and download them. There's a link to free maps on their website. Kind of hard to figure out what is what. That does you no good with the GPS tho, as you have to spend money to get a version that can talk to your GPS. For that I use a program called OziExplorer, which I paid for. You can take a screenshot of the chart area in Chart Navigator, save it as a bitmap, then load it into OziExplorer, calibrate it and save it as a digital map. Once you do that, you just hook up your GPS and load the track into the map and it displays it. Calibrating a map involves placing the mouse over a known point and entering the Longitude and Latitude. You need 3 points to calibrate it. It's pretty cool because you can even calibrate a satellite image that way. If you know GPS, you can save three waypoints and recall them to calibrate your maps. After you load your track, you can even replay it, and you can watch your progress.

The longest reach on that image is about 1.4 miles, or 1.2 nautical miles. The entire track is about 20 miles. I carry the GPS and a marine radio in a camelback when I sail 3rd Avenue, Crissy, Treasure Island, Pt. Isabel or Tomales alone, like I did today (Where was everybody??? It was smokin'). I like to sail up to Brookes Island from PI, and it is a loooong way back if I break down. I feel a modicum of comfort knowing I can radio somebody and give them my position. Plus, I get those cool tracks to boot.

Steve
andydavis

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Pt Isabel update? Reply with quote

bump.
I'm feeling a little short changed by the lack of a sensor. My three main spots were PI Sad , TI Sad , and Berkeley.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: shortchanged Reply with quote

Ripped off is a better word. This has gone on too long. I'm about ready to go back to my old neighborhood redwood tree and the berkeley wind phone (843 3446) for my reports. Neither of those blink at me and they always work. Also check out berkeleycam.net
Sorry, iwindsurf, but I'm paying for this service and I ain't getting reports from one of my favorite sites, Isabel, during its windiest season. fix it soon or I'm outta here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: