myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dang - Dougs Beach is getting a guardrail
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacspeed

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyslie:

Are you up to date on what is going on in Hood River lately? There are well over 200 new lots being developed on the westside this summer alone. Where do you think THEIR sewage goes? Right into the hook.

And how, exactly, is traffic and access going to be a "nightmare"? Where do you think all those windsurfers are going to come from? They're already there. A new pedestrian overpass on SR14, signage, and turnout lanes will markedly IMPROVE the traffic situation at the Hatch/Cheap/Swell.

Finally, Windsurfing and Kiting dependant on water quality in the Columbia? WTF are you talking about? If the river wasnt already draining the most polluted nuclear site in the world, a chemical weapons dump, a huge agricultural basin, hundreds of thousands of homes, and the largest lead smelter in the world, you might have a point. But it is, and you dont.
Bugaboo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyslie,

I have some comments:

I’ll let others chime in if I’m wrong, but I don’ think the RR paid anybody for anything. My recollection is that the Gorge Commission issued a ruing that the RR set aside some funds for mitigation. I am not familiar with all the ins-and-outs of the Doug’s guardrail case, but I believe that the RR properly argued that the Gorge Commission did not have the authority to require a financial reserve when developing new tracks within their right of way. My understanding is that the old parking configuration at Doug’s encroached on the RR’s right of way.

I guess I’ll take your word for it, but I am not sure Broughton’s is approved for anything at this point. If they are, I can say that I have not gotten any notice and my property is within required notice area.

I disagree that traffic or access will be worse- How can it be? The nature of the proposed development is such that it would not be economically feasible unless the traffic/parking and beach access were not dramatically improved. Plus, the chances of approval absent those improvements are about slim to none. Your comments on the congestion issues appear to assume that the Stevenson family has not thought this thing though.

Water quality? The Columbia River?

Even still, the sky is not falling.
jimfunhog

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his name says it all...boy's lie. there has never been any kind of pay off
wsmike

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change is inevitable, get used to it. Just as the river flows, you can't keep the water from falling downhill. I think Broughton is a good thing and it represents a positive land use development where there was previously only small-time accomodations near one of the best windsurfing destinations in the continental US. As for the sewage problem I think others have covered it, but one should note that a) the drainage area of the lower Columbia is twice the size of Texas, a lot of things can happen along the way and do, that would be worse than b) the Broughton development which has a proposed treatment plant that the developer has filled his glass with and drank.

I don't see why so many people are being reactionary here, logically this will drive commerce and provide an influx in the local economies which, I must say, the gorge area badly needs.
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'all are saying that the Hatchery has a terrible traffic problem?!?!
How could it get worse?!?!
The Hatchery is perfect as is!!!!!
The ugly Lumber Mill is perfect as is!!!!
The lousy launch is perfect!!!!!
Up untill the delta was formed... all the "groomed-run" sailors are either at Swell or the Event Site- exactly where they should stay!!!!!!
LEAVE THE HATCHERY ALONE!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: