myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Rigging Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Crissy Rigging Question Reply with quote

Can someone explain the philosophical reasoning of asking a windsurfer what he or she is rigging before that person has gone into the water at Crissy? I find it quite puzzling when Im sitting at Crisy rigging my sail and some dude flies into the lot and asks me what Im rigging. I could be wrong, heavy, skillless, small board, giant board , NTower, etc etc etc. Just crazy....
coachg

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that phrase is limited to Crissy. I hear it all the time at Sherman. First of all, I think it is a conversational starter, second it is the way most brains opperate. Gather as much information as possible before making a decision. Not really a big deal one way or the other.

Coachg
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's just windsurfer speak for "what's up"? Although, I do know what you're saying... it is kind of odd and people seem very sincere when they do ask. Funny thing is the same people ask me all the time... even though I pretty much always us the same sail at Crissy... 4.7. I just got a new sail, and it's a 5.0, so now they're really going to be thrown for a loop when they ask me! ...you're always on 4.7, now you're on 5.0... is it not that windy? lol

I always liked having different color sails, so my buddies could easily tell what size I was on. I also used to clip my sail bag to my roof rack so people could use me as a reference... but I'm not that good of a wind dummy cuz I usually take a smaller sail than most.

kev
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Rigging Reply with quote

I agree with both you guys, I just think its funny. Im lying in the grass, as dumb as the next guy, I use a 5.2 or 4.7 every time, and someone trusts me for some advice in their quest for fun under the Bridge. It really cracks me up , and I find it an amusing part of the addiction.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you (OP) are looking at the intent of the question in the wrong way. I generally know what I'm rigging before I unlock my truck and start throwing gear this way and that. The question is not everyone knows what size sails are which and the "What size you riggin?" for me is sort of an "Ok so if he sloggs out a half mile and then can't jibe and then sloggs back in I know not to go try that same thing."

I too generally rig the same thing most days but in general if you poll what everyone at a given launch has rigged for the day you'd likely only span a sail range of 1-1.5m. There's days at Candlestick where many are on 4.0-5.0 and then a few (including myself) would rig a 5.8. So if you even ask everyone on the beach before they rig AND before they go out, if you take the median size of 4.7 you'd be perfectly fine given it is the correct size for your weight, board and intentions.

Kev's got it too...it is the Windsurfer's "G'day mate!"

You should get used to it, it won't go away and some sailors are way more into what everyone else rigs than others even sometimes to the point of annoyance. But they are our brothers and sisters and that's just the way it is.

J
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Rigging Reply with quote

here s my favorite twist. In the grass rigging up, the rap comes"hey bro, what ya rigging"? you answer 5.2, he says , ya think so? Maybe its 4.5, you say "maybe" , before you know it , you're having a crossfire session about how windy it is 1 mile out under the Bridge, great stuff.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...to add to that. when i was working at boardsports, people used to call in all the time for wind reports: "can you tell me what the pager says for Berkeley?" I'd give them the reading, and they would say, "oh, really? it looks windier than that down here!" lol. that's great, calling for a wind report for the site you are already at. and then some would even ask me what sail size they should rig... over the phone!!! WTF??? annoying at the time... funny now Razz

kev
carl

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "what size....." question actually has purpose too, if you think about it:
That guy asking will be going out later than you and now he knows what size sail, board and aprox how heavy you are. You are his "wind dummy" and he has a point of reference as to weather he's rigged the right stuff.

A side note, are things really that hectic in the big city, that small talk is an annoying waste of time? That's sad,,, take some time to relax, make some friends.
carl

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kev,
My response was actually directed at Boggsman.
Calling the store for wind reports is just plain abusive.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Carl, I'm one of those who's always asking that question. I usually ask to more than one person and then try to guess their weight and watch them as they get on a plane, or not. I'm a bit heavier than other guys like Kevin, Sofi, etc. so I rely on their sail sizes and how they do on the water to rig accordingly. Other times I'm just too excited about going out and want to talk to others about rig and wind conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: