myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Scarborough Beach rocks! Where are all the w-surfers???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Scarborough Beach rocks! Where are all the w-surfers??? Reply with quote

So I decided to try out Scarborough for the first time and had one of the best sessions I've ever had. The rolling swell and waves were friendly but incredible to ride and the conditions were perfect for my 5.5 all morning long. The only downside was:

1) They're charging 7 bucks to park in the first week of May!!!!

2) I was the only W-surfer out there (everyone else was a kiter)

The kiters were cool and I had a great time sharing the water with them but I kept looking for some fellow w-surfers to join in the fun.

Where was everyone?

DC
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC,
Where is Scarborough Beach? You made out better than I did at Fogland.

Oliver
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The address is 870 Ocean Rd, Narragansett RI.

Take Interstate Rte. 95 South, to Rte. 4 South, to Rte.1 South, to Rte. 108 South, follow signs to Scarborough State Beach. I think the beach closes to w-surfers/kiters after memorial day so try and get a jump on the next NE.

DC
scooper

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Nice day today! Reply with quote

It sounds like you had great conditions at Scarborough! The last time I was there was over a year ago and I was the only windsurfer in a gaggle of kiters too. The kiters were friendly though. I broke a mast on a blown jump, had to wash in, and at least 1 kiter came by to ask if I was O.K.

I got out in Plymouth Harbor early this morning on my smallest stuff- 3.5 with 85 liters. It was blowing up to 35 for awhile. I couldn't find any waves or chop at dead low tide but it was fun to explore the sand bars and channels. I had to stop at 9:30 to head home. It was a short session but nice!

Web DSC00306.jpg
 Description:
Plymouth Harbor, low tide, high wind, 5/6/07
 Filesize:  40.78 KB
 Viewed:  26136 Time(s)

Web DSC00306.jpg

mwilly

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer (for me) as I was thinking about going but decided against it. Sounds like it was good. Wind graph looks like it was good all day, was it? I'm from CT: are out of towners, and out of Staters allowed at Scarborough? I really wanted to go the Chapin on the Cape but the tide wasn't right.
scooper

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you can always go to Mayflower if the tide is wrong at Chapin. It's connected to the same beach. Some people do down-winders, in a NW wind, from Chapin to Mayflower (or even Corporation), or the other way around in a NE. Fee at Mayflower in season. Mayflower is open to non-residents year round although it can be a little crowded with beachgoers on a warm sunny day. I had a hard time walking my rig to the water thru the towels one sun-bathing day last year and decided I would try to avoid it on those days. Also, the lifeguard let me sail but asked me to launch away from any swimmers. There is still some walk at Mayflower or Bayview at low tide but it's a fraction of the walk at Chapin.

Not sure about the rules at Scarborough. I've never gone there during swimming season. Off season it's unmanned.

I know of a couple of guys in Conn. that drive up to R.I. or the Cape. Are there a shortage of good launches in Conn?
mwilly

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed Bayview and Mayflower (and Corp) in the past. I know the walk isn't bad but I'm not into the gnarly shorebreak like I used to be. Chapin to me, with the side shore launch in NE is almost like sailing Maui (without the sun and warmth though) as the "break", if you will, is out a ways. I love Chapin, it is just my speed these days but haven't had a sesh there for over two years due to injury and work/life commitments. I probably would have come up if I hadn't just had a great week in Hatteras in 70-80 deg weather (last week in April, great SW wind 4 days out of 5).

Yes, IMHO there is not great sailing in CT, virtually no waves, and the wind quality is just so much better up at the Cape. I look for the good forecasts and usually go to West Dennis, Chapin, Chatham.

So is Scarborough in RI open to non-residents at this point prior to Memorial day?
chrissim

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like all are welcome at Scarborough.

http://www.riparks.com/scarborough.htm

You guys from CT should try RI if you don't want to go all the way to the cape. Fogland is known as the Kalmus of RI, also Ft. Getty on Jamestown Isle. can get some serious swell when the tide and the wind are opposed.

See you out there.
scooper

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarborough Beach, off-season, has no attendants in the parking lot. Anyone can park for free and use the beach.

I know what you mean about Chapin in a NE and high tide. It is really a fun place to sail! One of my favorites.
andymagruder

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: I windsurf at Scarborough (RI) Reply with quote

I windsurf at Scarborough RI when its good (5.8 or windier, head-high waves at the rock or bigger). If it's good and you want another windsurfer around, give me a call 401-293-0143 H 401-293-0143 W. I live a 35 minute drive away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: