myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Complete and total noob
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e123low

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Complete and total noob Reply with quote

Okay, I've been so excited these past couple of summers about windsurfing. The problem is that I've never had a lesson and cannot locate anything within 100miles from where I live that offers classes.

The good news is, I'm totally stoked about this sport, live within ten minutes of a huge lake where I can practice/rip it up, and have friends that are just as interested in getting things rolling.

Oh, and I have never seen a single windsurfer on the lake. Thats about to change Smile

I have a $1000US saved up to buy a setup and just wanted to ask you guys if I am being foolish about going and buying a board without ever having actually tried it.

I'm looking into buying a used Starboard Rio or Fanatic Viper. Are these good boards for a novice?

Could you guys offer some advice about other great boards/packages for a beginner? I'm 5'10 and 170lbs. I'm a decent skateboarder, wakeboarder, snowboarder, and would like to excell at this sport above all.

Thanks a bunch.
laurier17

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never mentioned where you live and what the lake is called... maybe there are phantom windsurfers in your area you have never seen out.....
e123low

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry. It is actually a dam located just outisde Boise, ID.

http://www.idwr.state.id.us/water/stream_dam/dams/LuckyPeak.htm
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the web sites I gave you on the Boards Forum....
any of those in Hood River are FOUR**** star
as well as Delta Windurfing in Rio Vista , Calif

The classifed on this as well as
www.windance.com
are a good source for purchase, and you may submit a WANTED add as well.

You need to get a few magazines. Idea

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road trip!!!

You MUST hie thee to Hood River, OR before 8:00 on the morning of Sunday, May 20. Take the first exit, turn left at the stop sign, turn right at the next stop sign to the top of the hill. There, at the planet's biggest WSing gear swap meet, you will find the biggest source of the cheapest windsurfing gear on the planet. Even at $3.30 per gallon your trip will pay for itself in money saved, information, stoke, and, if the wind cooperates, lessons. Thousands of boards, booms, sails, masts, and wet suits are being dumped by a hundred desperate sellers; with any luck you can equip yourself for as little as 10 or 20 cents on the dollar for good gear. And you'll be surrounded by a shouldertoshoulder mob of very knowledgeable advisers to help guide your selections.

Tip: If you find a Starboard Start or GO, grab it NOW. Don't assume your athletic background will make WSing initially easy for you; only the right gear and at least basic professional instruction can do that. At the very least pick up some instructional videos in Hood River or off the net.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dam that you refer to may have some wind issues, like NO wind or it may be too sheltered.

A class at Hood River would save you a lot of GRIEF....

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
e123low

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help guys! You expecially, F2.

I'm really starting to plan a trip to that swap meet with my friends. What are the odds of me leaving empty handed? I mean, with my complete lack of knowledge I may spend the entire day passing up boards that would be perfect for me.

Iso, I'll take your advice and snatch up a Start or Go if I see one. Can you recommend other popular setups that will more than likely be there?

F2, I have seen kiteboarders in the Dam before, but now that you mention it, there may very well be good reason why I've never seen a windsurfer there.

Either way, Lake Lowell is just a bit further and whitecaps pretty easy.

Thank you all again. I just ordered Jemm Halls Beginner to Winner after reading such good reviews. I went to Barnes and Nobles last night....yeah, not a single magazine on windsurfing.

L8
thomas_tlusty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sails, masts, etc. you'll definitely find at the swap. You should be able to find a board but there's not as many big beginner boards at the swap usually, there's always a few though. Even if you don't find a board the trip will be worth it though. Take a lesson (try http://www.brianswindsurfing.com/ Brian's a cool guy), buy some videos, and talk to the shop people about what you need. Most of the shop guys will be happy to provide advice even if you don't buy from them. Bart at the Gorge Surf shop will give good advice and is hilarious to boot. He sells used stuff as well and might have a beginner setup.

When it comes to gear don't get caught up in brand names or models. Most of the beginner gear is pretty similar. Every brand has one or two beginner models. You want a board with alot of volume (at least 150 liters if you're a lightweight, more if you weight more) and alot of width (at least 80cm, probably more like 90-95cm). Length doesn't matter much in current beginner boards. A centerboard is useful for staying upwind. A soft deck is preferable (you're going to fall alot and the soft deck doesn't feel like sandpaper when you hit it). A Start or a Go are very good choices, but don't hold out for a year to get one. There's not alot of reason to buy new if you don't have to, windsurf gear is a buyers market and you can save a ton of money.

Bet bet would be to get to Hood River on Friday, take your lesson and talk to the shop people on Friday since they're going to be busy on Sat. and won't have as much time to give advice, that day is usually crazy busy in the shops. If you're on a budget camp at Tucker Park Fri night and hit the swap Sat. morning. Don't leave town without hitting the Hatch or Dougs or wherever the wind is blowing to watch the show and ramp up your stoke.

Also download the 'Intro to Windsurfing' PDF from here: http://www.windsurfingmag.com/index.jsp
Good info for the beginner. Good luck!
e123low

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I'm gettin so anxious right now LOL.

Thomas, you mentioned hitting the swap Sat. morning. Windances hompage says the swapmeet is on Sunday. Does it cover the whole weekend?

thnx for the link too.

Oh, and how much would you guys anticipate spending in total for a good, used beginner setup?

Last edited by e123low on Tue May 08, 2007 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
thomas_tlusty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was wrong, it's Sunday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: