myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waddell Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Waddell Tips Reply with quote

I was wondering if any of the Waddell veterans would be kind enough to share some of their tips. I have been out there around 4 times. The first couple of times were really fun with 4-6 feet and steady winds. The last time was brutal, quite frankly. It was 10-12 ft, fairly holely inside, and I just could get outside for the life of me. These were the biggest waves in which I have ever been out, with all of my wave sailing previously being under head high. There is a huge differrence between head high and 10-12. Aside from much larger waves than I was used to and holely inside wind, there didn't seem to be any channels or gaps to get through. That left me relying upon and hoping for a lucky break to get out. On the day when I was there, all of the windsurfers were lauching as far upwind as possible and bearing off. Even though I got pretty worked last time, I am determined and looking forward to getting out there again this week as it looks like a really promising set up for the coast. It is also great to be involved with a sport that is still challenging after 20 years! Question
Tom
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head South to Davenport. Real waves and you'll learn the sport.

Avoid Wadell.
Cardinal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Waddell Tips Reply with quote

Waddell is the real deal. I kite now, but its the same thing. Like most great save spots (e.g. Diamond Head, Hokipa), it can get fluckie inside. Waddell can get like that when the wind has a lot of north in it. The best is when it is more on shore. Kiting is just like windsurfing there. Waddell has no channel - particularily when its bigger. Two things will get you to the outside: (1) watch the waves - Waddell tends to have very predicatable sets - wait for it to calm down - and it will - look at the horizon - this is where the waves that are going to eat you up are when you launch - I'd wait to get into the water; (2) when you see it flatten, get in the water fast, and hammer down wind - go as fast as you can - don't cut up into the waves as you might get over the first one, but the next one will get you because you don't have speed. Waddell is always stronger offshore - sometimes only as far as 25 yards off the beach. So you will pick up any ground you lost on the outisde very easily. Good luck. Davenport is great too. Very different. Doesn't provide the jumping potential that Waddell does.
ericwelty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Waddell's not friendly Reply with quote

I would agree with the comment about going to Davenport, its much better for the not so experienced in the surf, especially when its big. Davenport usually has a channel, and doen't break hard like Waddell. I've been sailing Waddell for 22years and have found Hookipa with mast high surf to be tame compared to Waddell with the same size.
windsurfer7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: You windsurf in the ocean off of California!!!???!!! Reply with quote

Both sailing sites are horribly cold and shark infested. No one should ever try to windsurf there unless they are insane. Besides the waves are aweful and the wind is fluky. I'm sticking to sailing the bay on my 12.5 meter sail.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the cold or sharks. 4.3 all year around, no hood no booties and nothing has fallen off yet.

However, the tourists on 1 are terrifying.
windwiner

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: You windsurf in the ocean off of California!!!???!!! Reply with quote

windsurfer7 wrote:
Both sailing sites are horribly cold and shark infested. No one should ever try to windsurf there unless they are insane. Besides the waves are aweful and the wind is fluky. I'm sticking to sailing the bay on my 12.5 meter sail.

Why would you even bother responding to this post? Anyone who would rather be on a 12.5m2 sail is obviously not looking for the same aspect of the sport as someone who is talking about wave sailing in ANY conditions.
windsurfer7

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry upper reef davenport was firing pretty hard that week and I think I might have been in a slight daze when I wrote that last post.
rowan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: I'm with windsurfer7 Reply with quote

Nothing like screaming back and forth on a 12m race sail at Larkspur.
Warm water, no sharks, San Quentin in the backround.
Now that's winsurfin'.

Leave the wave sailing to the kooks.
tkalkows

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Wedell sensor and Davenport wind Reply with quote

Anyone has an idea how does Wedell sensor readings compare to the actual wind in Davenport ? On Sunday Wedell was showing gusts up till 40s (on the water should be even more according to the sensor notes) but I don't think it was that strong in Davenport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: