myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jones Beach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danavision17

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Jones Beach? Reply with quote

How do you get to Jones Beach (OR/WA) from Portland?
Thanks
Windlover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Jones Beach? Reply with quote

If you want the best that the Jones Beach area has to offer, you want to go to the WA side of the river. Cleaner wind without the chop from hell.

Go north on I-5 and take the Longview/Kelso exit (first exit. RV dealership on right) bearing left over the Cowlitz river. Follow this (wa 432) all the way through town (around a small lake) until you reach wa 4 (you can only turn left or right. Turn left and follow 4 towards Longbeach for about 20 miles. You will pass County Line Park at about 16-17 miles. The road will climb up and stay above the river for a ways. As you come back down to the river you will see a small pullout on the right. The river will be on your left and you will be able to see Puget Island. Park on the right, beach access across the road. If it is going off, there will be some rigs there.

You can also take the second exit for Longview/Kelso and turn left. Follow the signs for wa 4.

This spot is worth the drive. I was there yesterday fully powered on my 5.3 from 4pm till 6:30 and it was still blowing.

If you want chop from hell, funky winds, and lots of sand, go to the OR side. Follow 30 to Clatskanie then about a mile or so out of town watch for signs. Kind of a convoluted trip to the water from the highway.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Jones Beach? Reply with quote

Thats debatable. I like several things about Jones Beach not readily available at the WA side, aka Nuclear Alley.

PRESUMING THE LOCAL REDNECKS ARE NOT ON THE WARPATH, Jones offers great camping, the best classic BEACH on the entire Columbia (miles of pure sand), and more ready access to more space than Nuke Alley offers. From Jones you have the chop (and it IS bad, but occasionally interesting), the nice swell across from Jones, and, of course, Nuclear Alley. Theres just more space off Jones than at Nuclear Alley, and, lets face it, most people who launch from the WA side dont venture away from it, rendering it more crowded. And you only have to brave The Chop twice each reach sailing from Jones.

Because the Alley is part of the Jones venue, the only REAL differences are the sandy beach, the great camping (which, for me, is its greatest appeal; nothing matches camping by the water, rigged, and just sailing, eating, and sleeping, in that order, for 5, 10, even a dozen non-stop days on end), and, if it occurs, the redneck problems that drove me out a decade ago. RUMOR has it some of the rednecks now WS, lessening that problem. Counter-rumor says crime there has increased that problem.

Recent first-hand reports on that issue are invited.

Mike \m/
mccoyms

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pulloff is just past Mile marker 41 on Route 4.
Temira

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Jones Beach sand Reply with quote

I used to sail at Jones Beach a lot. Then I was out there one day, and witnessed a boat dredging the channel.

Know where all that nice sand comes from?

The bottom of the Columbia River.

Know what's in that sand?

All the heavy pollutants that wash downstream from farms, nuclear waste dumps, small towns, and the not-so-small town of Portland.

I haven't camped or sailed there since.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jones Beach sand Reply with quote

windbabe wrote:

Know where all that nice sand comes from?

The bottom of the Columbia River.

Know what's in that sand?

All the heavy pollutants that wash downstream from farms, nuclear waste dumps, small towns, and the not-so-small town of Portland.

I haven't camped or sailed there since.

I'm more concerned there about the chemicals from the shipyards at Longview just upstream and the paper mill (dioxin) at Jones Beach, pus the eye and sinus congestion and infections I usually get after a few days there. But, ya know, it can be damn good sailing there sometimes, especially in August if the Gorge thermostat gets set on 110 degrees and the air is too calm to light a match. When guys can sail 3.x's 10 days in a row in the steadiest wind on the Columbia, what's a little sinus infection or a case or two of cancer that takes decades to materialize? Besides, that sand sure is purty, ain't it?

Once again, hough, I must ask, having just listened to "Dueling Banjos" from "Deliverance": how are the local trolls behaving the past few years?

\m/
mccoyms

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Jones Reply with quote

I sail at Jones Beach (the WA side) about 5 days a week in the summer, and the wind seems more consistent in the afternoons there than anywhere else I've tried to sail (including 2 trips to Maui). I haven't had a problem with sinus infections, and I've spent a ridiculous amount of time receiving nasal douches from failed jibe attempts and my initial attempts at waterstarting.
jungletheocean

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Keep out Reply with quote

Keep out of Nuclear alley! Very Happy Thats for the locals.. Laughing Go to Jones beach ok
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: