myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote on a W (or SW!) wind
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdolin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Coyote on a W (or SW!) wind Reply with quote

Anybody got a report from Coyote Pt yesterday (Apr 25)? The iwindsurf graphs were showing strong W and WSW wind at Coyote and 3rd Ave Channel. Just curious how that affects things.
Thanks!
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Coyote on a W (or SW!) wind Reply with quote

bdolin wrote:
Anybody got a report from Coyote Pt yesterday (Apr 25)? The iwindsurf graphs were showing strong W and WSW wind at Coyote and 3rd Ave Channel. Just curious how that affects things.
Thanks!

W and WSW are doable but less desirable directions at Coyote because the wind is light or non-existent inside and can be very gusty and holey outside. Yesterday the direction was WSW 20-40 knots with a very low tide turning to a flood. Better to get out while it's still ebbing because the flood will have you pounding directly into washboard chop. If the reading is 260 or lower I don't go.

WSW and SSW steady over 22 with a high tide can be a fun time to sail parallel to the runways and So Airport Blvd. Gotta have enough water to cover the sandbar and no-wind upwind ability to get back to the launch.

hth
mo
Bullroarer_Took

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Coyote last night and it was workin' jus' fine. Surprised

Alex - stuck around to see the jet skis pick you up.
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekcoon wrote:
I sailed Coyote last night and it was workin' jus' fine. Surprised

Alex - stuck around to see the jet skis pick you up.

Glad you enjoyed it!
Why did Alex need a ride?

Question
mo
Bullroarer_Took

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin snapped off. Tide was low, but flooding. This was right at that wind dip at 4 PM. I had to slog in myself and walk a considerable way.

I thought he was going to body drag in, but he decided to swim it (until the skis arrived).
Epenrose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to sail Embassy than Coyote, especially as Coyote sucks, paid parking and you have to slog to windline.

Was at Embassy last night. Rigged a 6.2 at around 5.40 and hit the water. In 5 mins the wind went from 6.2 to 4.5, was howling.

Two of us sailed late. I was on a 5.3 in the end, down hauled to hell and flat sail.

Was sailable but tail walking across the bay!
Belarus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote on a W (or SW!) wind Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
Gotta have enough water to cover the sandbar and no-wind upwind ability to get back to the launch.

hth
mo

Could you explain where exactly the sandbar is at Coyote and how much water you need to go past it? I was thinking that Coyote is deep enough for any tide level (unlike 3rd or Palo Alto or Tigers)...

Thank you!
Belarus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote on a W (or SW!) wind Reply with quote

bdolin wrote:
Anybody got a report from Coyote Pt yesterday (Apr 25)?

I was there that Wednesday Apr 25th, rigged a very old 5.8 an was in the water around 4:30PM. I'm 230lbs and was really overpowered. In about an hour the sail broke after a crash (right in the midsection - from mast all the way to the clew). Nevertheless, after adjusting the lines, I was able to waterstart and went planing back to the shore (now not so overpowered as before, just the right power with gusts slipping through the huge hole Smile ). I'm not sure if by that time the wind changed direction from WSW or W, but I was planing all the way to the beach and did not notice any gaps in wind.
carl

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you explain where exactly the sandbar is at Coyote and how much water you need to go past it? I was thinking that Coyote is deep enough for any tide level (unlike 3rd or Palo Alto or Tigers)...

The sandbar is in front of Embassy Suites, about 1/2 way out to the runway. Mo was saying that the sandbar is a problem if the wind is WSW or SSW and you're reaching from Coyote, parallel to Airport Blvd.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
The sandbar is in front of Embassy Suites, about 1/2 way out to the runway. Mo was saying that the sandbar is a problem if the wind is WSW or SSW and you're reaching from Coyote, parallel to Airport Blvd.

Thanks Carl.
Actually I'm saying, regardless of wind direction, at a very low tide the sandbar can be a problem. Carl's right on with the location.
If at low tide you see a large mass of birds seemingly floating there, chances are they're standing on the sandbar.

mo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: