myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
take the gear or not?...Santa Barbara long weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericvw1

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: take the gear or not?...Santa Barbara long weekend Reply with quote

Heading to SB for a long weekend this May 3-6 Thu-Sun for bachelor party. Is it worth my time to cart down all my gear as space will be at a premium. We're taking the surfboards and beer either way and I'm the only one that sails.

Thanks
mikecole

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Forecast for the channel (all our spots in SB proper):
.THU...NW WIND 10 TO 20 KT...BECOMING W 20 TO 30 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 5 TO 7 FT. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING. .THU NIGHT...W WIND 20 TO 30 KT...BECOMING NW 15 TO 25 KT LATE. COMBINED SEAS 5 TO 7 FT. .FRI...NW WIND 10 TO 20 KT...BECOMING W 15 TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 6 TO 8 FT. .FRI NIGHT...NW WIND 15 TO 25 KT WITH FREQUENT GUSTS TO 30 KT. COMBINED SEAS 6 TO 8 FT. .SAT...NW WIND 15 TO 25 KT. COMBINED SEAS 5 TO 7 FT. .SUN...W WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 4 TO 6 FT.

Forecast for Pt. Arguello (Jalama):
.THU...NW WIND 20 TO 30 KT...WITH GUSTS TO 35 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 9 TO 11 FT. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING. .THU NIGHT...NW WIND 20 TO 30 KT...WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS 40 KT IN EVENING. COMBINED SEAS 11 TO 13 FT. .FRI...NW WIND 15 TO 25 KT...WITH GUSTS TO 30 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 10 TO 12 FT. .FRI NIGHT...NW WIND 20 TO 30 KT. COMBINED SEAS 10 TO 12 FT. .SAT...NW WIND 20 TO 30 KT. COMBINED SEAS 10 TO 12 FT. .SUN...NW WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. MIXED SWELL NW 7 TO 9 FT AND S 3 FT.

My advice... leave the beer home to make room for WS gear, you can buy beer here. Bring your small stuff. Start thinking of excuses as to why you can't attend the Bparty. Where are you coming from?

Mike
ericvw1

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From San Francisco. Its hard to come up with excuses when it's your party. I'm bringing the gear.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like potential for some great sailing. I'm staying a couple of block from East Beach in SB. I've surfed at quite a few spots in SB and the surrounding areas but never sailed.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eric,

The bouy winds that Mike noted sometimes don't always come in well into Santa Barbara proper (East Beach or Leadbetter), but they can readily hit the far west end of Isla Vista or near the Bacara Resort (slightly west of Sandpiper golf course). At the latter spot, you need to park at the tennis club and walk over the hill to the beach. Also, if the wind has a predominant NW direction, El Capitan State Beach can be great on the beach above the point.

Lastly, its a good idea to keep an eye on C Street (Surfer's Point adjacent to the fairgrounds) in Ventura. If the wind is up, the extra drive from SB can be well worth it.
EddyBreffitt

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalama might be sailable this weekend, so bring your gear.
ericvw1

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the responses. The gear is going. May see you guys on the water...I'll be sailing orange and blue Super Freaks.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eric,

I was sailing at Leadbetter yesterday and noted a sailor out with a blue and orange SF, but the bottom section of the sail was yellow. I wondered whether the sailor was you. It was a pretty stellar day for Leadbetter with winds averaging in the 28-30mph range. If that sailor was you, I was the sailor out on a red and yellow Windwing sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: