myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any tips on traveling with your gear?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nes84

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Any tips on traveling with your gear? Reply with quote

I will be traveling with my gear this weekend and I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestion on packing the sails, boom and the mast. I don't usually travel with my gear so I am pretty much clueless!

Thank you,

Nes
jse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say where you're going and for how long. Also I ssume you're flying? Unless you have compelling reason to bring the masts, it will be easier to pack if you rent them. Most rental outfits have good masts to rent.

I went to Maui and felt the only thing that I really wanted were my own sails and my own booms. Those are the most personal pieces of equipment as far as I'm concerned. I picked up a 200 cm Epic gear bag for $125. Not sure if you have time to get one, but I was able to put two carbon booms, 5 sails, and a surfboard in it. On the way out, to keep the weight under 50 pounds (per United weight limit), I took all the battens out of the sails and folded them up and put them in a separate piece of luggage (They're Superfreaks, so you can fold them). They charged me $75 for the trip out. On the way back I decided not to de-batten the sails, and put them all in the gear bag. That put it over 50 pounds, more like 60. They charged me $25 for the return.

There are two things, I think in Maui they are used to dealing with it so they don't have to consult a manual to figure out what to do with it. Second, I was asked at the counter if it was a Surfboard, and I said yes. Technically true, but other stuff was present. I think if I would have said "No, sails and booms", they might have charged differently.

Also, going out, United handled the baggage checkin, coming back, Aloha handled it.

Steve
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on traveling with your gear? Reply with quote

nes84 wrote:
I will be traveling with my gear this weekend and I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestion on packing the sails, boom and the mast. I don't usually travel with my gear so I am pretty much clueless!

Are you traveling by car, van, or airplane?

Car? Roof racks or squeeze inside (the latter is far more theft-resistant).
Van? Throw it inside.
Either way, set your alarms.
Air? Rent, if possible. I don't trust airlines with anything I can't replace immediately, schlepping bulky crap is a god way to screw up what's supposed to be a vacation, and rental gear should suit the venue well. Everything I take to Maui can be carried in one hand; the rest can be rented, and they have stores there in case I forget to take any flip-flops.

\m/
nes84

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually flying to Tenerife, Canary Islands. I was told to bring all my own equipment, so I am trying to pack my sails, mast, boom and the board.

This is a very last minute trip (I will be leaving on Sunday) so do you think I can find that big of a bag at anywhere local? (Bay Area)

By the way, thank you so much for your feedbacks. It has already been really helpful.

Nes
madspaniard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nes.

there is rental available in Tenerife

Here is my reply to another windsurfer going to Tenerife

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.windsurfing/browse_frm/thread/9657a8e29f15be8a/46d16ddb48aef15e?lnk=st&q=&rnum=12#46d16ddb48aef15e

good luck
jam-1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re:Travel Reply with quote

Nes-
when i fly to maui, i take all the sails out of their sail bags, lay them flat on the ground, all on top of one another with the largest sail on the bottom. Roll up the sails into one big roll. I do this because some airlines define a windsurfer as one board, one mast, one boom and one sail. I actually had a guy at SFO look in my bag. If you roll up the sails together, it will look more like one sail. I'll usually duct tape the mast, boom, sails together and lay on top of my board (in board bag) all inside a coffin bag. Keeping the board in the boardbag adds a little weight, but adds an extra layer of protection. Because the coffin bag will weigh a lot, so i'll stow my harness, mastbase and sail bags in the suitcase i check. There is usually a weight limit, but most people don't care as long as it is not grossly over the limit. Every airline seems to be different on their rules, so it might work to your advantage to look up the rules online and pack accordingly. Of course, if you can get away with calling it a surfboard, it may be cheaper. Hopefully you won't run into an overzealous person at the counter...

~J
carl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helm in San Mateo probably has some bags.
You can pack the ("1 sail, 1 board, 1 mast, 1 boom") in 2 bags: (one sailquiver bag, one board bag). In fact usually 2 bags is better because they are easier to carry. Plus many of the airlines are getting tight about the 50lbs/bag weight limits. I also rolled 2 sails together also and it works well. Tape on bubblewrap to protect the board, and you can use a lightweight bag. Sails cushon themselves, no protection required, use a padded mastbag though. Very important, copy the airline's rules from
their website (contract of carriage). The ticket agent will not know their own rules and won't believe that one "sailboard equip" takes 2 huge bags.
Don't forget to tip everyone involved.

That said, any way to rent?? It's a huge hassle!! (and my experience was a single domestic flight, i can't imagine going thru customs and multiple flights).
Some small planes won't take them either, and others say "if space available". What do you do when they say "sorry we can't take it" (in spanish) and you happen to be in Madrid?
windbetty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If future reference, I've traveled with 2 boards, 3 sails, 2 booms, mast etc plus wetsuits in an Airwave Coffin Bag. It will definitely get attention at the airport, but you can fit everything if you're going by air and want all of your gear.

http://www.airwavesf.com/coffinsailbag.htm

-Rebecca
Boardsports School
San Francisco, Alameda
laurier17

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tie or tape all my sails together or wrap them in a sheet/blanket, try to bundle the mast and boom in there too. Just watch for the mast sliding out... This saves the wieght of the bag and handlers may treat it better if they can see it. Maybe wrap the boom grip in newspaper so it don't get all scratched up. Not sure how well you take care of your gear but it's worked for me, and I know kevin pritchard use to do the same... but a gash on a new boom grip wouldn't faze him, if you get my drift. I have had problems with dings and cracks in boards when I double them up, too heavy for those chicken shit handlers I guess, grow some musscle and stop throw'n our boards around damn it!!!!!!!!!! O, I also double wraped my sails and threw the whole quiver in a single board bag and board in a second bag. Might get an extra charge but its easy and protected.
nes84

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Travelin Tips Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your tips. Last night i called the airlines to find out about the fee and they told me that it would cost me $1,100 to take the equipment with me. They are probably thinking that my equipment will sit with me in the cabin!!!! (IBERIA AIRLINES)

Therefore, I decided to take most of yours advice to rent in Tenerife - even though I was told to bring my equipment.

Just wanted to thank you and update you on my plans.

Let me know if you will have any other thoughts!

Have a windy weekend!

nes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: