myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Land sailing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Land sailing Reply with quote

I land-boarded at Fogland this afternoon /evening. Wind was a little light for planing but fine for wheeling. I couldn't believe how well the land board worked, even on the slanted, rocky, narrrow beach. Now I've really got to find a better place to use it. Anyone know of a good beach- hard sand, wide, flat? near Boston or south shore? I also have to get some elbow/knee pads.
peconic_sky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of board are you using? I've done some windskating at the parking lot at Ponquogue (Long Island), but would love to get on the sand there at low tide...

Jeff
[My Windsurfing Photos]
andymagruder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Land boarding works at First Beach in Newport RI Reply with quote

First Beach in Newport RI (also known a Easton's Beach) has a width of about 50 feet of wet hard sand at low tide, and is about 3/4 mile long. I've land sailed there out of season. Forget summer except maybe late after hours.
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Beach sounds great! I've sailed there before but not for many years. Also, if the wind comes up I'd be at a good place to get some wave-sailing in. Thanks for the suggestion.

The board says "Norblan Speed Sail". It seems to have been made in Paris. It's about 6' long, with 13" pnuematic tires, and steers like a big skateboard. It feels very stable and easy to use but it needs a lot of room to turn.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I haven't found many good spots in our area. Off season I land sail at the RV park at Seabrook Inlet or the parking lot where we set up for windsurfing. The lot is paved but narrow so the wind has to be just right to be any good. The RV park is dirt and stones, rough but ridable. I've seen pictures of guys sailing on the beach at Nahant. The parking area at Nahant would be excellent in the off season but inaccessible from Spring to early Fall.

Kalmus parking lot is also good but only off season.

If you find any good spots let us know.

Oliver
peterk123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Corporation beach on Cape Cod becomes a large packed chunk of sand that would be very good for land sailing. I have not been there in years though.
scooper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions- Nahant, Corporation, First Beach sound good. I guess Chapin to Bayview area would also be good at low tide- huge tidal flats!

Web DSC00196.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.62 KB
 Viewed:  25005 Time(s)

Web DSC00196.jpg

jwj16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: ninigret park Reply with quote

not ninigret beach although close. it has an old air strip which is mostly turf but a paved bike path winds it's way around. good for wake stateing too.
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Ninigret Park Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I used to hang out at the old air strip when I was kid! My parents had a cottage nearby. I've only been there once since they turned it into a park. I'll have to stop and check it out the next time I'm driving to Ninigret for windsurfing. Thanks for the suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: