myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
dry land simulator
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: dry land simulator Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the simulator. Looks like fun.

dry land simulator.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.13 KB
 Viewed:  24837 Time(s)

dry land simulator.jpg

npiankov

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the one in your picture is in a somewhat disassembled state. It's supposed to have a support underneath the board (you can actually see the track for it in your picture). Here is a picture of a simulator we played with in Egypt.

IMG_1745_sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.84 KB
 Viewed:  24807 Time(s)

IMG_1745_sm.jpg

scooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks even better! Thanks for the picture. What did you think of it?
npiankov

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a great idea. What it really makes you do is keep your weight on the front foot - and beyond. In the beginning, I couldn't even get the tail off the ground, as the pivot point is in front of the front footstrap. Then you learn that you really have to lean over, bend your front leg, straighten the back one. Hard to do, but it teaches you how.

Once you are comfortable with the simulator, you can attach a sail and start doing Vulcan-like pivots. That was also almost impossible in the beginning, but then you get a feel for what to do with the sail and how to initiate the rotation.

I tried doing this stuff on the water and it really helped. I didn't get to the sliding-back point, but I got a lot farther than before and actually had some understanding of what I was doing. I am now building one here in Boston (couldn't find an old board, so it's going to be out of 2x4s and plywood) and hopefully I will get somewhere by the end of the year.
scooper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, let us know how it turns out! If we end up with one or 2 of these built maybe we can bring them sometime to Pleasure Bay and try each others out. I'm going to keep trying to find an old board for now. Maybe I'll ask around at some boardshops.
npiankov

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my simulator completed. I took it for a "spin" and it works as intended. Hopefully I will get to play with it quite a bit over the next couple of weeks and finally get all these vulcan-like moves drilled into my head and body. I have high hopes for this thing!

I have no idea how well it's going to hold up - I already pulled out one of the footstrap screws out of the wood and had to go for a really long one. But I think it will last long enough for me to get somewhere.

DSC_0099_sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  300.07 KB
 Viewed:  24635 Time(s)

DSC_0099_sm.jpg

DSC_0167_sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.47 KB
 Viewed:  24635 Time(s)

DSC_0167_sm.jpg

scooper

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive! You even got the domed top shape so it will feel like a real board. Did you use bending plywood for the curve or is it just thin enough ply, 1/4"? Also, what did you use for the support underneath it? Thanks for posting the pics! It doesn't look too hard to make. I may try to build one if I can't find an old board- still looking.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That simulator does look good.
Steve, I might have a board for you. If the repair of my JP comes out OK (and I think it will) I'll have a slightly beat-up Drops freestyle board that you can cut up.
scooper

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliver,

Sorry to hear about your JP needing repairs but I appreciate the possible offer of your Drops. I hope to see you on the water one of these days. I've been sailing some strange hours, what little time I can get free, sometimes light wind, sometimes evening sailing past sunset etc. I'll bet you've been having better luck getting out there on the good days.
npiankov

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "board" has 1/4" plywood top and bottom. It was a heck of an effort to build it, especially given that I had no plans or adequate tools. So making the simulator out of an old board is definitely a better idea. The only challenge would be to attach the pivot point. The guys in Egypt built in another masttrack, I think. The trick there is to figure out a good point for the pivot, so putting a whole track in there allows for some play. You don't want to make it too easy by putting the pivot too close to the back of the board, but I guess you don't want to make it too hard either by putting it forward.

You are welcome to try my simulator some day to see if it's worth the effort. I may go practise with it Sunday morning in P-bay.

BTW, I almost ended up making the sim out of my beat up JP FSW98. Instead, I ended up repairing it and it will probably net me $250 or so. That makes the wooden simulator almost worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: